please help identify...attached to a soft egg

momofet

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
found this in the coop this morning. it was attached to a very soft egg. i have never seen anything like it before. it's very firm.

none of my chickens appear to be ill. all are runny around happy as ever.

thanks for looking. hope someone will be able to advise me on this.

I've found any number of strange and grotesque things expelled by my hens, but I don't recall ever coming across anything as alien as that!

As long as your girls are all acting normally, I'd just stick it in the freezer for next time you need to gross out an obnoxious relative at a family gathering.

Well, either one of the girls lost her female parts, or it's egg formation gone real bad.

I'd check all of the vents to try and determine which hen it was, I'd isolate her and watch her.

As long as your girls are all acting normally, I'd just stick it in the freezer for next time you need to gross out an obnoxious relative at a family gathering.

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

If you rotate the picture with the larger end up, you can see that it is an otter embryo. One of your hens is a closet otter.

Well, either one of the girls lost her female parts, or it's egg formation gone real bad.

I'd check all of the vents to try and determine which hen it was, I'd isolate her and watch her.

x2. Check those vents carefully. it almost looks like a prolapsed vent.......but I certainly would not know how it got detached and how she would be running around like normal. I would be afraid, very afraid of that hen
hide.gif

thank you to all for your responses...even the funny ones!
lau.gif

i've done quite of bit of research online but failed to find a pic similar to mine. i've checked all their bottoms and they all seem normal, thus, it doesn't seem to be a prolasped vent (also in comparison to research.)

i will continue to monitor all of them and give them some extra TLC.

please continue to send me your comments and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom