Please help identify chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bowen Mt Chicken, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Here are our chicks that hatched 3 weeks ago, one is almost twice the size of the others. They are all similar, meant to be barnevelders and welsummers, there is one little darker chick, but she/he wouldn't keep still long enough for a photo, but it has a dark triangle on top of it's head leading to it's back with dark lines around it's eye's, her are some pics of the others, the smaller ones have a dark spot on their heads and the bigger one has no spot on it's head,
    [​IMG]

This next two are of the bigger of the three other chicks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pic's of the ones with the dark spot on the top of their heads:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The backs of the larger chick and one of the smaller ones:
    [​IMG]

Our mix breed chick, australorp cross silver spangled hamburg
    [​IMG]

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Those do not look like barnevelders or welsummer chicks to me. The one who you could not take a picture of.. the one with the V on top of it's head, sounds like a welsummer. Any other possibilities?

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x's 2

4. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i have no idea what they are, but they're not purebred welsummers. they don't look anything like welsummer chicks.

5. Bowen Mt Chicken

Bowen Mt Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Bowen Mountain, NSW
    Not sure on what other breed they could be as the breeder gave me the eggs, he told me they were barnevelders and welsummers, the eggs were all very dark brown or a brown to light brown, the darker eggs had a sheen to them, but only a couple made it to hatch, they also has a couple of dark line on their backs when they first hatched, I guess time will tell, I will take more photos in a few weeks when they have more feathers and then re-post that might help more then, but I think the only welsummer is the little one that is quick and hides under it's mother all the time, this breeder has given me rhode island red eggs before that had australorps hatch from them as well, he is an elderly man who is going a bit deaf, he helps his son on the farm, he has given us some other eggs that he said are barnevelders and welsummers, anconas and brown leghorns all due to hatch this weekend, along with some rumpless araucana's I got the Araucana's from a show breeder so they are better quality birds, and he gave me some eggs from some of his show winners, and so far they all have chicks in them, so I will see what these chicks look like when they hatch. Thanks for helping.

6. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I look forward to seeing the chicks as they get older!

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    He probably has his chickens all together and doesn't realize that just b/c the mom is one breed doesn't mean her babies will be that breed, too. They're probably all mixed. I had a friend who thought if she had a roo of each breed, the hens would only breed with the roo that was the same breed as them. She didn't realize you had to separate them to get purebred chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by