Please help identify these chicks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rpchris, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Hello. I have 5 chicks that are now 4+ weeks old. I don't know much about different breeds or gender identification as such a young age. I ordered females, so I assume them all are. Are my breed and gender assumptions correct?

[​IMG]

Barred Rock or a Dominque? Her tail feathers are the least developed of the 5. She is also more 'solid' and heavier than the other chicks.
    [​IMG]

Rhode Island Red?
    [​IMG]

New Hampshire Red?
    [​IMG]

Buff Orpington (foreground chick)?
    [​IMG]

White Plymouth Rock?
    [​IMG]

2. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i think you have them all right though i kinda think the one you think is a RIR is acually a red sexlink???
    and the white ply rock is acually a leghorn???
    but those are my guesses
    and the first one is a barred rock not a dom.. the comb is weird on a dom called a rose comb its flat looking not spikiey.
    hope that helps a little

3. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'd say the one you're thinking is a RIR is either that or a Production Red, and the supposed NHR is a Red Sexlink -- see the white leakage on her feathers?

And that's a BR. Like Evelle said, Doms have a rose comb, and yours has a single comb like Barred Rocks have.

Is the white one "chunky" like the BR? If not, it's possibly a Leghorn. If yes, then your guess of White Rock is most likely.

And they all look like pullets.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Thank you so much for the information. I ordered an assortment of brown egg layers. The white chick is more slim and trim and not as solid as the barred rock chick.

According to the MPC website, the possible breeds were suppose to be as follows, which is why I assumed White Plymouth and not Leghorn. Could the NHR be a Red Star?

Order five or more and you'll get at least three large fowl breeds from the following list:
    Rhode Island Red
    New Hampshire Red
    Red Star
    Speckled Sussex
    Dark Cornish
    Light Brahma
    Australorp
    Buff Orpington
    Dominique
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    White Plymouth Rock
    Partridge Plymouth Rock
    Delaware
    Golden Laced Wyandotte
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    Columbian Wyandotte
    Black Jersey Giant

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    hmmm i wonder...
    that white one looks as though its not very big that the reason why i said leghorn...
    but its not on the list and not a brown layer leghorns lay white eggs (doesnt mean it still isnt mistakes can happen)
    could be a delewere but i dont see any signs of black on tail or neck.... i for got when mine started to show them...

and a red star i beleave is that same thing as a red sexlink [​IMG]
    woh wait is its leg really thick.. more so the others?? if it is its a cornish
    i asked cuz the picture makes those legs look huge!

i mixed up the pictures i ment to say the nhr was a red sexlink
    and the RIR is prob that

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by