please help identify these chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kathryn1, Jan 15, 2014.

1. kathryn1

kathryn1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Hi everyone, I am new to byc and chicken raising. We have 4 chicks approx. 12weeks old that our blk Australorp hatched from fertile eggs we bought. We were told eggs were some blue austs and some light sussex. Can you please help identify gender and breed. I can see the light sussex not sure if roo or pullet. The light grey which I believe is a roo is that a blue Australorp I didn't know they were that light he is very pretty. The two others I think they are blk aust although one is lighter and maybe they are pullets.

The blk aust hen that went broody and hatched these had not stared laying when she went broody (6- 7mths old) and the other hen we got at same time has hardly laid and egg ive given them shellgrit and wormed them. I thought australorps were meant to be good layers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your black bird does look like an Australorp or Australorp mix, and appears to be a pullet. The blue one is a Blue Australorp, and a cockerel. The Light Sussex, I'm not sure on. For now, I'm going to guess pullet.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

4. kathryn1

kathryn1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2014
    Thank you for the reply and your thoughts.I really do hope the light sussex is a pullet. I know its hard to tell but there is two black hens one is a tiny bit lighter than the other.

Any advice or ideas on why my other Australorp has never really laid and when should mumma chook start laying. Remembering she hadn't started when she went broody. whats happened to what we thought were a good layer breed. do some hens just not lay.Keep in mind I have given them shell grit, wormed they don't have mites.
    They are free range plus layer pellets and a little grain mix and a little kitchenscraps.

I am allowing for the heat but they are probably 9mths old now.

Kathy

5. kathryn1

kathryn1 New Egg

Jan 15, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by