Please help identify this skin problem. Pics!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensioux, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Very red and irritated looking but not hot to the touch, not scaly and does not appear to be painful. This hen is perfectly healthy in every other way. Eating, drinking, pooping, laying normally. No mites or lice. The feather loss is from the roo. It cannot be sunburn, she is in the shade 99% of the time. The redness is all the way under the tail too.

Anything suggestions?

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Songster

Apr 16, 2009
    Is it red under the feathers on her upper back? Sunburn was my first though if you've checked her well for mites. It wouldn't take much to sunburn a chicken who's skin was completely exposed, I wouldn't think.

I'm no expert, though. Hopefully others who've seen this before will come along soon.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am concerned because, if it were sunburn, it would be going away. It doesn't seem to be healing and she is in a shaded pen.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My first thought was sunburn as well and was going to suggest noxema and/or a chicken saddle. What about some kind of rash? Desitin would help with a rash and it should clear up quickly.

5. Jenski

Jenski Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Looks like a hen who has been seriously overmated by a roo.

6. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    She is just going threw a molt and that is sunburn,she will recover just fine,never lost a chicken to molt and sunburn.

She'll be like this for a while then all of a sudden you'll start seing new quils popping up ,it just takes some hens along time.

You could boost her protine level up with some scrambled eggs and that would be a big help to her.

7. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    My Roos did that to my hens during the winter and I had to cull all of them except 2. I think that your chicken will look that way until she molts and gets new feathers. Like I said my hens look the same and they free range. I have looked for mites and all but nothing.I'm waiting to see what happens after the molt wich should be about in oct.By the way how many roo's do you have? They probably are the culprits. My chickens also eat each others feathers.

8. zazouse

zazouse Crowing

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    If a roo had done this i am sure there would be allot of damage to the skin especially under the wing area

9. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:that was my thought exactly; You need more hens for the Roo

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    If she is in the shade 99% of the time, chances are it isn't sunburn. Does she have open sores from the roo?

Could she be allergic? I know it sounds crazy but it looks like a rash of some sort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: