Please help identifying this ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jime, Sep 13, 2012.

1. jime

jime Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Elizabeth, CO
    I got a few eggs on april of call ducks, and australian spotted ducks, I have to travel by the time they hatch and when I came back the person that took care of them already mix everybody so I didn't have a clue where the guys came from (incubator).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The girls is the cutest thing but the noise one too so I am assuming she is a call, I try to see some pics in different webs and she looks like an australian as well (green head i will say)but she is tiny like a call. The boy on the other hand is really pretty but bit bigger than the girl even bigger than the white boy call duck I have, so I am going for australian but dos't have the white ring on the neck.
    Can it be a mix of something else?
    Your help will be pretty much appreciated.
    Once I figure out what I have I will need to find them mates.
    (sorry if there is some bad spelling I am better at spanish)

2. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Well, that drake you have there in the pool is a very handsome boy! He has blue in him, so one of his parents must have had one or two blue genes - one of the Call ducks I'd guess (assuming the Australian Spotteds were pure bred). He is also Dusky (like a Campbell). Anyway, I think he is really gorgeous!!

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Top picture one facing left is the same bird as the bottom in the pool, is a drake, but looks on the large size and maybe a call mix because it should be as small as the one next to it.

Top picture the one with its head down (light colored one) is you Aussie spotted, they are as small as calls and just as loud.

The black well its a set of black legs and a full sized lol, and of course the muscovy. Word of warning, dont keep the full sized drakes or the scovy drake with the bantam sized ducks they can badly injure or kill them trying to breed.

4. jime

Jun 15, 2011
    Elizabeth, CO
    Thanks for your replies.
    Ok so far then I have the girl as an australian spotted I will need to find a boy for her.
    And the other witch I think is amazing is a cross of call with something else but not an australian! Will have to figure out what to do with him.
    The black set of legs just happens to be there but are from my cayuga.
    The ducks are now mix because they are in the close area (had a fox attack took 37 of my birds chickens and ducks) so now everybody is close with electric fencing.I am working on different paddocks for the different ducks and breeds I have. Everybody is 5 months now they all hatch together so they tolerate each other a bit better and so far the only one with the hormones is the handsome boy in question , but my little girl is the only surviving girl on the small ducks group.
    Thanks again for your replies , will be interesting to figure out the cross on this duck since was suppose to be pure call or pure australian I didn't pay for cross eggs.
    Well that is the risk.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    He could be pure call, but is pet quality. If they were eBay eggs most likely pet mixed color calls.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]
    And to the Duck Forum!

Your English is fine. . . my husband, who only speaks English, declares that it is a very difficult language [​IMG].

And lovely mix of ducks. I agree that you need to keep small girl ducks and big boy ducks away from each other. The girls could get killed.

Off topic . . .

I have a flock of ducks, all girls. So it feels so strange to call them patos, but patas means something else. Is there a way to say a flock of all female ducks? ┬┐Patos hembras? I hope I didn't just write something obscene.[​IMG]

7. verlyn78

verlyn78 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Riverside CA
    I don't know much about ducks but they are very nice birds.

8. jime

Jun 15, 2011
    Elizabeth, CO
    Thanks amiga.
    A group of female ducks is call patas.
    My husband that is english speaker says that spanish speakers are way to complicated we have a ton of words and on top of that one word can also have tons of meaning and is true.

9. jime

Jun 15, 2011
    Elizabeth, CO
    Thank you Verlin78

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by