Please help IDing my duck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kimbroe1981, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Kimbroe1981

Kimbroe1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Noble, OK
    I got her at Atwoods this spring. I think she's started laying, but I would like to know what breed she is so I can do a little bit of research on the breed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
    [​IMG]

2. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Mismarked magpie

3. earlyredrooster

earlyredrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    Hey I have it's twin.

4. earlyredrooster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    [​IMG]

5. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    She looks like a magpie, good luck. Make sure if your going to eat her eggs, or hatch them that you leave the ucky stuff on the egg don't wash it off. The egg will last longer that way, even though it might be a bit stomach turning.

6. earlyredrooster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    Boy ain't that the truth. From what I've read it keeps salmonilia at bay.

7. Kimbroe1981

Kimbroe1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    Noble, OK
    Thank you so much!!!

I never wash my eggs until i'm ready to eat them. I've never hatched out duck eggs, but i'm sure I will this spring! can I hatch them at the same time i do chickens? I've had chickens for a few years, this is my first time with ducks. I have 1 male runner, 2 pekin (not sure the sex yet, they're still young), and apparently 1 mismarked magpie. I love them all so much! They're so amusing!!

@earlyredrooster - That's awesome!!!

8. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    It depends if you incubate them or the duck/Chicken Broods them. Ducks will go take a dip in water come back and sit on the eggs to get them wet. Duck eggs need moister rather it be a squirt from a spray bottle or a gentle wetness of the mothers underside after a good bath. The Ducks will move them around in the hay bury some. While leaving others out in the open. To get them to incubate and hatch at the same time as the others. Sense they only lay one a day. Duck eggs typicaly hatch at day 28 of incubation. Good tricks to know, day 7 you will see a small bit of veins in the egg while your candling them. They will show more and more the longer the egg is incubated. However if you do not see that. A good thing to know is the dip test. If you put the egg in water and it sinks, it is fertile, if it floats then its scrambled eggs. :D Sense the male doesn't have to mate the female for her to lay eggs, If a duck is brooding them, she will lay anywhere from 8 to 16 eggs maybe more maybe less. Before she stops, to brood them. First time layers are really hard to get to brood, ducks are prone for not brooding the first lay. So If that happens, it may help to lock her in with the eggs, to get her to pay a bit more attention to the eggs. And less attention to the out doors. Our duck is a terrible brooder. She refuses to sit on the eggs, but our pekin was like "Okay I'll do it!" Until we started taking them away then she lost full interest in them. But be aware, they can hatch a couple days early or a couple days late. Just like any other animals pregnancy.

As far as hatching them at the same time, Yes you can keep them at a nice temperature. Don't put them in a brooder, just make sure they are warm enough as they would be outdoors. When the chicken eggs are 5-6 days away from brooding. Start Incubating/Brooding the duck eggs, sense chicken eggs normaly hatch at 22 days. Duck eggs 28 days. That way they will hatch around the same time. Duck eggs will stay furtile and ready to brood, until you refrigerate them or if it takes to much time before you brood them. So i would start gathering the duck eggs when you start gathering the chicken eggs, Brood the duck eggs, give it a few days then brood the chicken eggs.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  9. Jessica89

Jessica89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2014
    North Wales
    She is a beautiful duck!!

10. earlyredrooster

Apr 19, 2014
    Harrisburg, Ar
    I agree she is a Magpie my Maggie hen lays a white egg about the size of an extra large chicken egg every single day. I LOVE my Maggie's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by