Please Help! I'm so out of my element.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Imquackingup, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Imquackingup

Imquackingup Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    SW Ohio
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and have never been in a forum or created a thread but I'm going crazy over 5 Peking ducks that someone dumped at my pond. They are about 9 months old now and I've been feeding them since July so I would say they are dependent on me at this point. The problem is that they have lived on the pond for the most part and after one of their siblings was killed they sleep in the water all night.It has gotten cold enough to freeze the pond. The first day they were stuck in the middle of the pond freaking out so my husband and I took a boat out and broke up a path for them to get to our side of the pond. For the past week we have been breaking ice to help and purchased a coop and pen which we haven't put together yet because some pieces were broken.The ducks are really skittish, even with me. They have never been touched by anyone so I'm not sure how I can wrangle them into the coop at night. They used to run to me when I whistled for them to feed them but now they hardly get out of the water(I think they may be afraid their little hole will freeze up if they do). If anyone can tell me anything about taking care of Peking ducks or tricks to get them in a coop, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    I've never had ducks before, only chickens. Best thing I can think of right now is to lure them in the coop with food.

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Feed may be the best way to get them to the pen. Lightly scatter a small amount into the pen with a full pan at the far side of the pen. Hopefully they will be hungry enough to go in. You may have to back away so that they do not regard you as a threat. A rope to pull the gate shut from a distance may help. Good luck.

4. Imquackingup

Imquackingup Just Hatched

Dec 18, 2016
    SW Ohio
    Thank you!

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Food. If you have ever given them treats, use those.
    My girls will walk over hot coals for peas, as will many ducks, so you can try those as well.

6. nannychachi

nannychachi Just Hatched

Jul 1, 2016
    WV
    And lead/guide them slowly. Ducks need time and can scare easily. We found out that if we go out at about the same time each evening and go through the same routine movements our ducks go right into their pen. Repetition and routine and a nice snack will work wonders.

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

This may sound harsh? Not my intentions at all.......A net will be the easiest way to catch them and get them into the Coop...Drop a blanket over the birds head so calm it down....I really can not see treats working at this point...Once they have all been confined and begin to trust you they will all come running for a treat......

Poor Ducks...

Cheers!

8. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    If they are not friendly with humans I can only see this being a rough process. As everyone else said, food. This could be complicated to get them all the way there. Using a car could freak them out and a net is asking for stuck necks. Try to build their trust and offer them food. Best of luck to ya.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I only suggested netting and the blanket because it was just done out here at the lake to rescue pet ducks that someone released....They are all doing fine....The right net has small holes so they do not get tangled......The quicker they are caught,the better...Car rides in covered crates are not that stressful....Not all Ducks are tame or come from great conditions....Ducks are trusting and calm rather quickly.....

Cheers!

10. bydhatch

bydhatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2016
    NC
    I can just imagine them, being fairly wild, getting a scared and freaking out. The smaller netting could work.
    It was nothing against you. My apologizes if it was taken that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by