Please help incubator advise needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peydonspoppa, Mar 3, 2013.

1. peydonspoppa

peydonspoppa New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Rogersville MO
    So I made an incubator out of a styrofoam ice chest for my duck eggs, I have a 23w compact fluorescent bulb as my heat source and this has been my best bulb yet (15w was way to small, 25 too hot and 40w was gonna cook my ducks). I have my humidity under control but my temp will not go above 97. My question is, is 97 ok or does it need to go up a couple degrees? How can I raise the temp? I have a 1inch square hole in the back of the bator for ventilation. The pic shows 40% humidity but I took the lid off to tinker inside is why. [​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG]

2. peydonspoppa

peydonspoppa New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Rogersville MO
    My temp has gone up and fluctuates between 99&100 but now my humidity is not going above the 40 the picture shows... I know what the temp\humidity should be at but what are the absolute minimums I can use.

3. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    You need at least two holes one for intake of air and exhaust. Also if you have a 1 inch hole that is two big. Use a piece of tape to cover part of the hole and if the hole is at the top put another one 1/2 inch round at the bottom.

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I suggest changing your light bulb.
    There are a few factors that are VERY important for a successful hatch, temp and ventilation are both on the list!
    please refer to those sections of my notes here they will also explain WHY https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch!

5. peydonspoppa

peydonspoppa New Egg

Mar 1, 2013
    Rogersville MO
    I have tried other bulbs and 15w doesn't hear enough and 25w over heats if I hook my fan up(recycled laptop fan) 25 isn't hot enough anymore. I taped half my big hole thats on te back and opened a smaller hole on top. My humidity is rising and my temp is still right around 99-100.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by