1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help!! Incubator Emergency, day 21!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wthchristi, Sep 7, 2009.

1. wthchristi

wthchristi Chick-A-Palooza

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    I woke up this morning, day 21 to hearing cheeping from the bator. I ran to see the new babies and freaked out. The temp is down to 72.9 degrees and the light will not come on. My incubators heating element seems to have died. The fan was still working. What can I do to try and save the 30 eggs in there that are trying to hatch. Please help!!

I put the big flashlight on top and a heater underneath until I could figure out what to do next. I am bawling, I do not want to kill my babies on hatch day. Nothing is opened (farm supply) because of labor day.

2. dbcooper02

dbcooper02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    SW Washington
    You have to keep the humidity up so keep the lid on. I think you are on the right track. I would unplug it to stop the fan. Watch your temps and do whatever you need to do to get the temp back up to 99.5. It will take some time for outside heat to get through the styrofoam, but a heating pad below and/or a brooder light above should eventually get the temp back up for you. Hoping for the best for you,
    Doug

3. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

use bulb.

if you have no bulb then use kerosene lamp, i have so long experience with this kerosene lamp, maybe it could help the only thing to worried are fire hazard and CO2 gas.

good luck for you. [​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    what about a tupperware filled with hot water and holes poked in the top? Then it would raise the temp and make up for any lost humidity when you pop it open.

Maybe hot/wet towels too?

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Could you put wet sponges over a hole and fire your hair dryer at it? Please keep us updated! [​IMG]

6. wthchristi

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    Humidity has dropped to 48 from 80. Too much opening. I am going Walmart to get a heating pad? My husband used a hairdryer to try and get the temp up. Desperate measures.

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I would take them out and put them in a small rubbermaid tub or cooler with quart jars filled with hot water (don't get too close to eggs) and hot washcloths on top of jars (on their sides). I did that when a broody walked away 3 days to hatch. It worked! The more jars you use, the less it effects everything when you have to open it to add hot jars.

Good luck!!

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
  9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Catwalk that is excellent for a few eggs but 30 [​IMG] OMG she will be lying around for a day or so waiting on babies to hatch.

10. wthchristi

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    We moved the bator into our bedroom and have turned it into a sauna. We have an electric oil heater (no fan) parked under the bator and my hubby's makita flashlight inside for heat. We moved all the eggs away from it. Two small jars of water inside and a sponge. Temp is at 97.9 and humidity at 64. The eggs are still cheeping (thank goodness). We turned the fan off. My hubby is watching the temp like a hawk and using a hairdryer to raise the temp inside quickly. (It went to 112, yikes!) Now we are just watching to see if we can keep the temp stable. These are my shipped b/b/s babies....they were doing soooo good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by