1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help, injured chick, please read

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jbolt, Mar 19, 2013.

1. jbolt

jbolt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    lt

OK, a chick hatched out in my LG still air several hours ago. When I got home from work, my kids kept saying "look at the lazy one" obviously something was wrong. Turns out on the back of his hock joint is a scrape that could have only come from the mesh screen on the bottom of the bator while drying. It is deep enough that if fully bent like as if lying down,the bones in the joint are visible. I trimmed the down around the wound, then generously blotted it with iodine. If I straighten the leg, leg wound seems to unstretch and cover the bone. I used a bandaid to splint the leg upright but not straight, and also did the splay leg bandaid to keephim somewhat balanced. Then I made him a custom cupsimilar to one that I saw elsewhere on this forum. I will post pics of fix and cup in a moment. Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Want to see the pics,but it sounds as though you are doing what you should! [​IMG]

3. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

4. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Looks good to me! I hope all turns out well with him.

6. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Has anyone else had a chick scrape his hock joint to the point of visible bones? This chick is between 16 and 24 hours old.

7. Desert Springs

Desert Springs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    I had a chick several years ago that was caught between two hens fighting over it. It sustained a broken leg, like the one yours has, and I too splinted it (but just the one since the band aid held the leg straight). Within just a few days the leg healed and although the leg had a bulge in it where the bones fused, the chick grew to be a perfectly good chicken with a leg you would have never known was injured. Good Luck!!! Hope the little one heals quickly!!

8. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Thank you so much I am worried about bone infection. But I can only do what I can do.

9. Desert Springs

Desert Springs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    One of my breeder friends puts Neosporin on injuries to avoid infection.

10. jbolt

Jan 24, 2013
    Wittmann az
    Well unfortunately as the day progressed the chick got worse. Infection I believe had set in, as his leg was swelling to 3 times regular size. He was in obvious pain and I believe blood supply was cut off to the rest of the leg due to the swelling. I asked my husband to cull him for me as I am not experienced enough to know what else to do. This is my first injury /deformity cull, my 2nd ever hatch. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by