PLEASE HELP! Injured chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vaowen, Jun 25, 2018.

1. vaowen

vaowen Hatching

Jun 25, 2018
    I am at a loss as to what I need to do for 2 of my chicks. They are about 2 months old and I tried integrating them with the rest of my hens last night. I put them safely in the coop last night and this morning I found them a bloody mess. I feel terrible. I have never had a problem integrating chicks before. I took the chicks out and I put each injured chick in its own box with food and water. One has a nasty gash on its head, and the other has lost a lot of wing feathers. Any advice would be great. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

I would put blue kote or red kote on them. Also if they are friends I would put them back together. Being alone may be stressful

3. vaowen

vaowen Hatching

Jun 25, 2018
    Ok thank you I appreciate it. Will it be ok if I put them together? The other chick I have that was not injured is also separated so it doesn't pick on the injured ones.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Crowing 7 Years

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I think they will heal just fine. You can use some Neosporin ointment to the open areas if you wish.
    I never integrate chicks unless they are 2/3 size of the adults and I usually do it in the daytime so I can supervise.
    Perhaps you can place them in a small but separate cage with the older girls? That way they are safe and can't be touched. Do it for about a week or so until the older girls seem disinterested in them - obviously wait until the wounds have healed.
    Good luck :)

ButtonquailGirl14 and coach723 like this.
  5. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    SEE BUT NO TOUCH RULE!!!:barnie:hit:hit:hit:hit

coach723 likes this.
  6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Separate the chicks from the big ones until they have healed. You can use veterycin to clean up open wounds, blue kote on wounds that are not too deep to prevent pecking, neosporin on deeper wounds. I've seen worse and they recover and do fine, so just keep them clean and watch for infection. Depending on your set up, maybe you can put up a temporary fence so the littles have their own enclosure parallel to the bigs, cover with netting to prevent fly-overs. Leave them separate where they can see each other, but can't get to each other, I use a large plastic airline dog crate with roosts installed for a temporary coop, placed close to the bigs coop door. Place feed for both sets near the fence so they are 'eating together' while separate. Just make sure they are predator safe, whatever you do for set up. When they are bigger, as said above, about 2/3 grown, so they can get away and defend themselves some, do some supervised mixing during the day while watching to see how it goes. It may only take a few days, may take longer, you never know, it just depends on the birds themselves. I don't rush it, it takes as long as it takes. Sometimes what doesn't work this week, works the next. Sorry this happened! :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: