Please help! Injured duckling bill.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessikarma, Mar 2, 2014.

1. jessikarma

jessikarma New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    I have a pair of runner ducklings that I had with my chicks in a wooden brooder.

When we checked on them this morning, our female was bleeding from her bill, and upon separation and cleaning we saw that it almost looks cracked off.

She has been eating and drinking, but she is constantly quietly peeping (even while she's asleep).

I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow, but I want her to be as comfortable as possible until then.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side note : She is separated from the rest of the flock, and with her partner in a smaller plastic brooder.

2. barredmuscovy

barredmuscovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Um see what the vet says but keep me updated on how she is doing

1 person likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    She is in some pain, I would think. Bills can heal, but if the end has come off, she may need some kind of help. As young as she is, she may be able to recover the bill . . . don't know.

A vet would be able to prescribe metacam or other pain reliever and give correct dosage - for such a little one.

Keep them separate, littles can get really knocked around, even by larger littles.

[​IMG]

4. jessikarma

jessikarma New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    Just got back from the vet. He made her a little acrylic bill. He said it may not stay on because the sides didn't give it much to adhere to. Sure enough, she got home and was eating and drinking like it was going out of style. I found her little piece in her water.

Good news is he thinks it will heal, and she should be fine. He did not give any medication because he said it would do more harm than good. [​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Kinda like losing your false teeth, I'm glad to hear the vet thinks she'll be fine. you could put a small amount of Apple cider vinegar in their drinking water which will help keep bacteria under control and can also help with healing. 1 Tab ACV to 1 gallon of water. Keep us updated on your little one. and [​IMG] wanted to share this with you, ducks need to be able to wash their faces often so they need a deeper waterer than what chicks do on this link it shows a pic of an inexpensive waterer that you can make for your littles.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    uh oh, Miss Lydia. Missing link?

So happy to hear! I am fascinated with the acrylic prosthetics.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by