Please help! Injured duckling!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittlePsycho, Aug 10, 2013.

1. LittlePsycho

LittlePsycho Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    I have a little ducking that somehow managed to cut its bottom eyelid across the bottom and down the middle. It's very swollen and it's oozing clear pus. I can see thicker white pus inside it, but I haven't tried to mess with it. I'm doing my best to keep it clean, but is there anything else I can do? Will it ever see out of that eye again? I'm sorry for the pictures if you're a bit squeamish...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The eyeball itself is still there, and it seems to be relatively unharmed, but, as you can see, the eyelid is pretty horrible.

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she were mine, I would find some saline eye wash (sold with the contact lens stuff) and irrigate it, then put some ophthalmic antibiotic ointment on it (sold at the feed store.) Actually I'd use plain Neosporin ointment for the eye med. I'd probably treat it at least twice a day and hope it calmed down within a few days.

I learned years ago from a vet that you can use Neosporin in eyes, and have used it on myself several times without a problem.

3. LittlePsycho

LittlePsycho Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm going in to the store tomorrow for the eye wash, but I rinsed it with water and put the Neosporin on it. She certainly wasn't happy about it, but she's doing fine now. Thanks for the advice! [​IMG] I doubt she'll ever see out of that eye again though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by