Samantha101

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2019
Someone recently gave us a rooster and a hen a couple days ago and we noticed the hen was just in the corner getting bullied & noticed neither of her eyes will open. Their previous owner said it was because he had 2 roosters and 1 hen and they injured her eyes. She was also a regular layer and has not laid an egg since I got her. I don’t know how long she’s been like this. I separated her from the flock & she’s comfy & eats & drinks, I make sure of it every day. She doesn’t move around much at all since she can’t see. What do I do about her eyes? She seems so sad, it really hurts me.

Someone recently gave us a rooster and a hen a couple days ago and we noticed the hen was just in the corner getting bullied & noticed neither of her eyes will open. Their previous owner said it was because he had 2 roosters and 1 hen and they injured her eyes. She was also a regular layer and has not laid an egg since I got her. I don’t know how long she’s been like this. I separated her from the flock & she’s comfy & eats & drinks, I make sure of it every day. She doesn’t move around much at all since she can’t see. What do I do about her eyes? She seems so sad, it really hurts me.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her and the eyes - try to open them ?
Do the eyes have any crusty discharge or are they swollen?

That is so sad, sounds like she has been blinded. I have one chicken that is blind in one eye because she got pecked as a baby and I had to get her antibiotics and antibiotic drops for her eyes.

That is so sad, sounds like she has been blinded. I have one chicken that is blind in one eye because she got pecked as a baby and I had to get her antibiotics and antibiotic drops for her eyes.
Thank you for responding! I know, it really breaks my heart. Where did you get the drops from? And how did her eye look when it happened? Is she happy now? My chicken seems so sad, she’s not used to being blind.

Thank you for responding! I know, it really breaks my heart. Where did you get the drops from? And how did her eye look when it happened? Is she happy now? My chicken seems so sad, she’s not used to being blind.
The clear part over her eye and her eyelid was damaged and over time it got swollen around her eye. I had to take her to the vet because all my home remedies were not working. I got some antibiotics and antibiotic drops from the vet. She is only blind in one eye, but it made her lowest in the pecking order and I always had to make sure she got some food. It usually takes her three or four pecks to pick something off the ground.The lowest in the pecking order generally is always run away from the food, so I always make sure there is three or four different places where my chickens can eat. She holds her own now. I can’t imagine a chicken being able to survive really well being blind in both eyes. Seems like she would always have to be kept away from the others and become more of a house chicken rather than an outdoor chicken.

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of her and the eyes - try to open them ?
Do the eyes have any crusty discharge or are they swollen?
I went this morning & turns out they are swollen. This is what her droppings look like. I’m new to having chickens but I know something must be seriously wrong. :(

Attachments

• 120D7B4E-00FB-4A09-A53E-67AB3BB93F11.jpeg
    120D7B4E-00FB-4A09-A53E-67AB3BB93F11.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 2EA699D6-E74E-42E7-87C0-E35CD76F55D1.jpeg
    2EA699D6-E74E-42E7-87C0-E35CD76F55D1.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 0479BBB7-96F0-437C-96E6-D6FB62CF6E0E.jpeg
    0479BBB7-96F0-437C-96E6-D6FB62CF6E0E.jpeg
    905.4 KB · Views: 6
I went this morning & turns out they are swollen. This is what her droppings look like. I’m new to having chickens but I know something must be seriously wrong. :(
Someone recently gave us a rooster and a hen a couple days ago
Has she and the rooster already had contact with your existing flock?
Can the people take them back?

Looks like she has an eye infection to me - most common cause of infection is respiratory disease. Does she have a foul odor? Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza come to mind with pus and swelling like that. It's possible it could be viral like Infectious Bronchitis or ILT, but you don't report other symptoms like sneezing, coughing or wheezing.
Without testing, it's really hard to know the exact cause of the infection. Respiratory diseases are contagious and depending on which one you are dealing with the bird and those that are exposed can be carriers of the disease for life. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you are wanting to treat her, then the eye needs to be flushed well with saline and that pus needs to be pressed out. Chicken pus will not dry up on it's own, it has to be taken out. After you clean up the eye, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. Do this 2-3 times a day. See the video below for some ideas of how to clean out the eye.
She may also need antibiotics - Tylan50 can be used, but it seems hard to find, check with your feed store to see if they have any in stock. If not, you can order Tylosin online. Let us know what you are able to find.

I'm very sorry that you ended up with a sick chicken. I would keep her hydrated. Poultry vitamins if you have them too. Try to encourage her to eat - if she won't eat dry feed, try it wet. Scrambled egg is sometimes enticing as well.

upload_2019-10-9_11-9-31.png

Looks like she has an eye infection to me - most common cause of infection is respiratory disease. Does she have a foul odor? Mycoplasma and Infectious Coryza come to mind with pus and swelling like that. It's possible it could be viral like Infectious Bronchitis or ILT, but you don't report other symptoms like sneezing, coughing or wheezing.
Without testing, it's really hard to know the exact cause of the infection. Respiratory diseases are contagious and depending on which one you are dealing with the bird and those that are exposed can be carriers of the disease for life. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you are wanting to treat her, then the eye needs to be flushed well with saline and that pus needs to be pressed out. Chicken pus will not dry up on it's own, it has to be taken out. After you clean up the eye, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin. Do this 2-3 times a day. See the video below for some ideas of how to clean out the eye.
She may also need antibiotics - Tylan50 can be used, but it seems hard to find, check with your feed store to see if they have any in stock. If not, you can order Tylosin online. Let us know what you are able to find.

I'm very sorry that you ended up with a sick chicken. I would keep her hydrated. Poultry vitamins if you have them too. Try to encourage her to eat - if she won't eat dry feed, try it wet. Scrambled egg is sometimes enticing as well.

View attachment 1929922

I agree with Wyorp. She definitely looks sick and resembles the other pictures I have seen of chickens with mycoplasma.

View attachment 1929922

Thank you so much for the help! The rooster is with the flock already and she was with them for a day before we had to separate her because they were picking on her. No symptoms of trouble breathing or anything. I don’t know about the odor but, I do notice a lot of gnats surrounding her. If it’s an infection, is it treatable?

Back
Top Bottom