PLEASE HELP! Injured goat! PICS ADDED!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rilly10, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I have a young boer doeling who weighs 43 lbs. I just went out tho throw hay and she is hobbling around on 3 legs. She will not put any weight on the right front. Everything feels ok (bone , joint, and ligament/tendon wise) but upon inspection I found she has a very small cut right above the hoof (coronary band in a horse). It is bleeding a lot for such a small nick and for the amount of pain she seems to be in I hope she is just being a baby and there is not a deeper issue. She was fine this morning at breakfast so It must have just happened.

Is it ok to give Banamine to a goat? I was thinking if I give Banamine I would do like 1/4 cc? Does that sound ok for a 43lb goat? I wormed her with Valbazen last Sunday and weighed her then so this should be pretty accurate. I will post some pics in a few minutes but any help would me much appreciated!!!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Well I am going to give her 1/4 a cc and hope it helps. I am also going to do a betadine scrub and triple antibiotic ointment once clean. Wish me luck.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wish I could offer some advice, but I've got nothing. The worst thing I ever dealt with when we had goats was bloat from eating a poisonous plant, never any injuries. I hope she is walking and feeling better soon!

5. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Thanks for the kind wishes! This is my first goat emergency. I hope I can at least keep her comfortabe until the vet is avaiable tomorrow.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    She probably just a little sore. Is her CD/T current? If not, get her a dose of the Tetanus Antitoxin when your feed store opens back up after Christmas.

7. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Oh good idea! Thanks! I just got them so I am not sure the breeder said they were UTD on everything but I will give her one to be safe!

8. rilly10

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    UPDATE- The vet came out and gave her Banamine, a furazone wrap on the leg, a tetanus booster, and sulfa tabs (1 pill 2x/day for 5 days). She was looking a little bloated so we will keep a good eye on her. I am also going to put out some baking soda for her incase she needs it.

He said she does look rather wormy so Weds she will get a second dose of Valbazen to clear up any immature worms it the first round did not get (the first dose was last Sunday).

I also went to TSC and got some Noble goat and BOSS which I will start giving them once everything with her leg settles down as I don't want to shock her system or stress her anymore than I have to.

Thanks so much for everyone who helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by