Please help...Injured/Sick Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feathere6Girls, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    Our Buttercup is a 3 yr old Buff Orpington. We noticed yesterday that she was just sitting in the coop and while the other girls were outside eating. We brought her in and looked her over...I can't find any actual "injury" but she can only walk a couple steps and then she sits again...it appears that her balance is off or she is lame on the one side. It's almost as if her one leg/foot is weak. Her comb is bright and she's talking some but just can not get around at all. She did eat a little but just isn't herself and I have no idea what to do. I have her in the garage in a small pen... What should I do??

2. 2chicks poultry

2chicks poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    Othello Washington
    Is she maybe just broody? And Im not sure why she would be off balance...... check her crop for sour crop see if its squishy and if its not then she fine there um how old is she?

3. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    I'm thinking its bumble foot after some research

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you see any wounds/sores that would indicate bumblefoot? Check bottom of foot and between toes. Check for broken or overgrown nails.

If not,start checking for being egg bound,impacted crop,leg injury/tendon issues. Any issues with vent? How does her poop look?

Bring her inside,this way you will see any changes right away. Make sure she is eating/drinking. She may need additional heat,when ill/injured birds cannot regulate their body temp,you will notice if she is acting chilled.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    She does have a black wart looking thing on bottom of one foot

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by