Please help! Injured silkie chick after fox attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lily-Rose, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Lily-Rose

Lily-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    A fox got into our young silkies cooper Saturday early morning, and all are gone save for one whom we found under our shed where he had managed to hide. He's only 2 1/2 months old. When we got him out he was unconscious and lying on his side, but breathing. He had a small cut on his head and looked like the fox may have tried to bite his head. I put him on a box with a warm bottle to warm him up, and gave him water from a syringe dripped on the side of his beak. He's still with us but he can't seem to hold his head up and squeaks softly when you move him especially his right leg. When you straighten his leg his head falls back. He can't seem to stay awake for more than a minute. He has pooped three times since Saturday and it's very smelly, green and white liquid and grainy. This morning I managed to get him to take a little probiotic yoghurt, and chicken feed made into watery mash. Hard to feed him when he keeps passing out [​IMG]. He will randomly flap about squeaking and falls out of the box most times he does this then passes out again. I don't know what else to do but try and keep him warm and get some food into him. Has he a leg or neck injury? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Really sorry about to hear about the fox attack. Predators! :rant
    I wonder if the survivor is in shock? Keep him warm and as comfy as possible. Short of a trip to a poultry vet, which are about as common as unicorns, I'm not sure what else you can do. Hang in there! :hugs

3. Lily-Rose

Lily-Rose Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2013
    Thank you [​IMG] Is there any pain relief I can give him to help ease his pain?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by