Please Help, Is My Chicken Sick?

sian1

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Australia
Hi, please help as I am not sure what to do. I have three chickens, two silkies and one (i think) is a Isa Brown. The Isa Brown usually follows me around the backyard and digs in when they get any food treats. Yesterday I noticed she isn't following me around and will often just stand or sit. Her tail is still up and so are her wings, but she has been pooing greeny yellow/white stuff. About two days ago we gave them some pasta in sauce (she was fine then), I'm not sure if this made her unwell? Please help as any advice is helpful!

I have posted this before i just didn't receive a reply. Sorry

I believe the poo could indicate she hasn't eaten enough/at all in a while.
The eggs are a great idea, I normally don't like dairy for the chooka, but cultured buttermilk is a great idea.
The ISA Brown is 5 years old and probably never wormed. I actually suspect ecoli infection due to the green/yellow/white feces. Worms weakening the birds immune system then the ecoli taking over. That's why I recommended worming, then a heavy dose of probiotics to beat back the ecoli, baytril would definitely help also. I've dealt with ecoli and if it's treated right away, chances are good for recovery. Otherwise the ecoli takes over and it's usually a slow downhill death.

And she is 5 years old, and i have also noticed she is falling asleep and her tail is dropping. I think she may possibly have gapeworm?
She does this thing with her neck as if she is stretching it.

Last edited:
If she ate the pasta in sauce, it's not gapeworm. The neck stretching can be caused by a respiratory disease; but there would be other symptoms such as gurgling, wheezing, possibly swollen face, runny nostrils, bubbly eyes, head shaking. Otherwise she could be adjusting her crop.
Inspect her for lice/mites especially around her vent area. Try worming her and provide her with plenty of probiotics. If you cant find a commercial avian probiotic, give her buttermilk mixed with chopped boiled eggs to eat for 4 or 5 days and see if there's improvement.

The ISA Brown is 5 years old and probably never wormed. I actually suspect ecoli infection due to the green/yellow/white feces. Worms weakening the birds immune system then the ecoli taking over. That's why I recommended worming, then a heavy dose of probiotics to beat back the ecoli, baytril would definitely help also. I've dealt with ecoli and if it's treated right away, chances are good for recovery. Otherwise the ecoli takes over and it's usually a slow downhill death.
thank you for the information! It's very helpful.

Thankyou everyone for your help, today i noticed an improvement in her health. She is now walking around a lot more but she is still not her usual self, but I'm sure she will be back to normal soon. Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom