Please help. Is my white peafowl a male or female?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Texasbirdlady, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Texasbirdlady

Texasbirdlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    I ordered 3 Peafowl and one is obviously a male the other obviously a female but I don't know how to tell on my white bird.[​IMG]

2. Texasbirdlady

Texasbirdlady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2016
    Also, he or she came with her leg banded and the other two were not banded. Does anyone know why this is? Thank you in advance for your help.

3. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Probably need more pics to confirm but at first glance Id say male due to what looks like decent tail length at that age and I see some whispy fringe. Try to post more close pics of his tail, neck and legs. The bands are probably breeder specifics as some use it to identify their birds for future breeding and some for advertisement take a pic of the info on the band and we'll try and help there also.

Gerald Barker

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  4. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

Gerald is probably right about it being a cock, more close up pics will help confirm that. When we do our NPIP testing we have to band each bird with a non-removable crimped and numbered band. If any of the results come back positive they have to know which bird is infected and the only way is with a positive ID band.

5. barkerg

barkerg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2015
    Salado, Texas
    Ah NPIP, good info Kingbee,[​IMG].

Gerald Barker

6. Dany12

Dany12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Hungary
    For me it's a male !

Rule of three long !

Male have:

Long head.
    Long feets.
    Long toes.

7. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Based on just this photo I say male. Long tail feathers, wispy premature train feathers, I don't see any neck feathers looking solid. Just to help you out for future references. I use two methods that haven't let me down.
    [​IMG] White peahen neck feathers are solid.
    [​IMG] Here's a Blue peacock neck feathers. Same feather structure for White peacocks too.

[​IMG] Here's a Blue peahen's neck feathers. White peahen's neck feathers are the same structure.

[​IMG] White peacock feathers are wispy, almost look like hair at first glance.

[​IMG] The tail coverts on a hen will be a solid feather while the peacock's pre mature train feathers will be wispy.

1 person likes this.
  8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    After the bird tests clear do the bands ever come off or is it there for life?

9. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

You can remove them if you like or keep them for identification for the next year test. Some states require banding for import into their state, so I see no reason to remove them.

10. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    I was just curious if you could. Can you retest the exact same birds year to year?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by