Please help! Is this 5 week old SLW a pullet or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissLiberty, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MissLiberty

MissLiberty New Egg

Mar 23, 2011
    Please help! I am new to raising chickens and would greatly appreciate your opinion.

We purchased 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks from a local feed store. We can only have hens as we live in a residential neighborhood. The chicks (Freedom, Liberty and Victory) are now approximately 5wks old.

I am starting to get worried about Freedom being a ROO! He/she's comb is developing different from the other 2, in that their combs are rather flat and Freedom's is raised and bumpy (see pictures).

As I am a new member, it seems I am unable to post pictures on a forum post. (very fustrating!)
    I WAS however able to post them here on my BYC page (just add a w, as I see I am also not allowed to post a url even to this very site!) :
    ww.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=83577-is-this-slw-a-pullet-or-roo (So sorry for the trouble!)

In every other way Freedom resembles 'her' sisters (to my untrained eye, anyway). 'Her' feet are the same size. Comb, wattles, and earlobes are no more red than 'her' sisters. Tail feathers appear the same, ect. She is actually the least aggressive. But that comb seems to get taller every day. I REALLY hope 'she' is NOT a roo as we cannot keep a boy. [​IMG] I am so worried, she is the friendliest of the bunch and I am already quite attached to 'her'! 'She' follows us around and even climbs up in my lap to be petted when I sit down... I am anxiously awaiting your reply with Fingers crossed. X

Thanks SO much!!!

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Looking at your pictures I would say that Freedom is a pullet with a single comb. It happens from time to time. No worries.

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yep, I agree. Looks like a single combed pullet to me.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I had 6 SLW's and three of them had me sweating until we got some eggs!!! I had people here even telling me that they were roosters! good luck! try to be patient!

5. tendriana

tendriana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Roseville, CA
    I have one SLW who is 4 weeks old. I have no other SLW to compare her to. However, I noticed her comb is getting quite pink and I started to worry she might be a roo. I posted a similar question a few days ago, and I'm hearing about 50/50 that she's a hen/roo. But from what I've read all around here, SLW are notorious for being hard to sex by their combs. I guess the rose combs get red quick on both boys and girls, and then you have the issue that it sounds like you have - where it's a single comb instead of rose.

I wish the best for you (and me!)

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    I hope pullet. Keep an eye on the waddles...if they start to get bigger-roo. The comb was the last to develop in our boys-but they had waddles early compaired to the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by