please help! is this a cornish????!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by americana-chick, Sep 10, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i bought from the feed store yesterday and brought home "suposebly 3 buff orpingtons" but i think one of them is a cornish! i dont kill my chickens or anything like that so he/she would live his/her life fully no matter what! but could you tell me if it is a cornish? and if so do cornish chickens need special food to live longer than ment to? i hate that cornishs are known to die early because they grow so fast so i am just worried for the poor little thing! please tell me if this is a cornish and what all cornishs need to live a happy life. thanks!
    [​IMG]
    i named the little guy Amanda becuase it is my friends birthday today and she asked me if i would name one of my chickies after her.and the buffs are pullets so i am hopping this one is too but if not oh well.
    [​IMG]
    do you see the diference in them?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks!

2. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I don't know if it is a cornish,but it doesn"t look like a buff orp to me.

3. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    ya i know! i didnt even think to look at the differences.. wow i am smart! but i there was only 3 left in the basket and i couldnt bare leaving one all by itself

4. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    no one knows?! i really need some help and advise!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Give it a week or two. Then you will know.

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    The bare patches say "Cornish" to me... And the TREMENDOUS size...

7. Moriah

Moriah Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2008
    Springfield Colorado
    "bare patches"?? exactly what are you referring to? the dark areas on the wings? I am only asking because in the chicks I just got, I have a yellow one that looks identical to the one the orignal poster has up, complete with small bare patches on part of the wing. I ordered all araucana's, and got the "free rare chick" but haven't been able to figure which it was. It doesn't really seem to be any bigger than some of the others, but it sure is braver as it willingingly gets in my hand trying to get the top of the wall of the brooder box.

8. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    The combs look like single combs. Cornish have pea combs.

9. americana-chick

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:thats a reliefe! i hope it isnt a cornish! i dont want cornish because of there life spans...!

and i know the 2 darker ones are buff orpingtons but that one lighter one is the one i am not sure of....

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Cornish crosses do not have pea combs..they are single combed. It does look like a cornish cross or white rock maybe. Hard to tell as a baby. I agree, you'll know in a week or so based on it's growth.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by