Please help is this a guinea???

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by celonecoop, Oct 1, 2013.

1. celonecoop

celonecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    Does anybody think this is a guinea keet? I had a barnyard mix I hatched out and not sure if I have some guinea keets or not [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi
    Pretty Baby! Looks like one to me. At least like the keets I still have in my brooder.

3. celonecoop

celonecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Quakertown,PA
    Aww I hope so after the farmer gave me these eggs his 2 female guineas were killed by fox! So it would be so nice to be able to give these back to him :0)

4. griffinlairfarm

griffinlairfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Justin, TX
    [​IMG] I do believe you have a guinea :)

5. gourdlady

gourdlady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Grafton, Ohio
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I say no. If they hatched all at once....guineas take 28 days not 21. A guinea baby would also be noticeably smaller at hatch. The widows peak on a standard pearl colored guinea is solid black.
    Three solid lines (not broken) are on each side from the peak down to the eye. They have solid stripes along the side of the body and 1 wide brown stripe down the back edged in black. Their beaks and legs are very bright orange. Your baby also has the appearance of eyeliner....of my 16 hatchlings none have eyeliner. Additional guinea colors can be viewed at.
    http://www.guineafarm.com/descriptions.html
    Just my opinion... I hope I won't be eating crow when you know for sure !

1 person likes this.
  6. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I agree with gourdlady.
    Hatch time for keets is 28 days and size is much smaller. Markings, while a few are similar, most are off. Eyeliner marking reminds me of Easter Egger. A beautiful chick.

7. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Wouldn't you be able to tell by egg shape? I thought Guinea eggs were a little more pointed than chicken eggs?

8. gourdlady

gourdlady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Grafton, Ohio
    Oh yes that's also true. Guinea eggs are much more pointy then chicken eggs, they are also smaller like bantam chickens.

9. Starkasm

Starkasm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    In the woods
    [​IMG]
    He kind of looks like a baby we hatched out last month... but this is a bantam chick.

10. Blue Roo

Blue Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2013
    Hello all I have a question how old do guineas have to be before they start laying and is it true that they only lay twice a year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by