please help! is this a rooster or a hen????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by vedrian, Oct 21, 2010.

1. vedrian

vedrian New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    Hi everyone, we have six 6 month old backyard chickens. We believe one of them (the leghorn) may be a rooster but we are not sure. It's comb is larger than the others but it is not crowing (yet). It is smaller in size than than all the other chickens. Also, we have been getting a white egg every day. The other hens we have are....1 rhode island red, 1 barred rock, 2 americaunas, and 1 buff orphington. As far as I know none of those breeds should be laying white eggs. I'd appreciate any help with this. My husband and I are debating on weather it is a rooster or hen. please help solve the mystery!
    Thanks,
    Jaime

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
  3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
  4. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well, based on the breeds you mentioned you have yourself a hen - none of those other breeds will lay a white egg. I have leghorns and there is no doubt about the whiteness of the egg!!! :)

5. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    Just saw the pic. No doubt at all, that is a hen!!! [​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Leghorns have big combs, and are true "layers" unlike the other "dual purpose" breeds you have in your flock of six. Layers are smaller bodied birds, because they're not intended to bulk up for meat.

So, yes, your Leghorn is a pullet and is the source of your white eggs. [​IMG]

7. EGGRI-LA

EGGRI-LA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    If you look behind and below the eye you will see a red patch on the RIR and wyandott and a then a white patch on the Leghorn. That is the color of egg that bird will lay. Actually the red patch indicated a brown egger,

8. vedrian

vedrian New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your help! You solved the debate between me and my husband (and proved me to be correct)!!!! Have a great day!

9. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    Looks like a girl to me no saddle feathers, skinny legs, shes perty:p

10. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Definitely pullet! No saddle feathers, even with a big comb. Congrats!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by