Please Help Is This Mites??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BookWorm243, Dec 10, 2010.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I got a rooster from the pound almost a week ago. He had already been there by himself for 30 day so i figured if he looked good I would not worry about it. I put him with my chickens when in the yard but at night he goes in his own little house. I gave him a bath yesterday and this morning where he was standing yesterday there where dead little red/brown bugs. I took pics you really cant see any thing but it might help give you an idea. Do you think they are mites? I have had him with the hens and at night the hens go in the coop with the chicks could they all have them now? How would I go about getting rid of them? I had looked him over for any mites and did not see any when he was dry or when I was giving him a bath. He stayed in a crate in the house last night.

[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wonder of they could be fleas from the dogs at the pound. They don't really infest chickens but if the pound has enough of them, the chicken could just have some hitchhikers, I would think.

I'd sure be watching for them for a while. Here's a good reference, which I hope you don't need: http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    That's mites and a bad infestation at that! You can go to walmart, in the pet section pick up Adam's flea and tick spray(it's in a blue spray bottle)--around $10. Spray him under the wings, base of the neck, top of the head, base of the tail, and his chest--this will kill the mites! Re-treat in a few days to make sure you got them all. Mites cause anemia and death, so act quickly! Good luck!

4. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Thanks Could I use Flea and Tick Shampoo from walmart?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes you can alot of people use adams flea spray and shampoo.

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    They look like lice to me. Elongated beige crawly things are lice. Walking dots of various sizes are mites. Mites can be pretty teeny. The Adams is good stuff. You will want to treat the coop as well. Or you can use Ivermectin pour-on for cattle (buy at any feed store). A couple drops on the back of the neck works wonders on mites and lice and some types of worms. Retreat in 7-10 days to get the hatchlings.

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Not only would I treat the rooster with a good bath but treat the girls with food grade DE and the coop too. These things get a foothold and yuck--too icky to imagine.

Here is some Mojo to help rid you of those creepy crawlers [​IMG]

8. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    i got the Adams Flea, Tick and Lice spray I sprayed all of them. I got all new bedding and hope that will help get it under control. I checked my roo and found one mite on him before I sprayed him.

9. BookWorm243

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Should I be worried about my chicks having mites?

Thanks

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:No, but you should worry about them having lice, which is what those bugs are. You are going to need to do a complete house cleaning and treat everyone he has been in contact with.

Bugs are such a pain. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by