Please help!! Is this serious?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CountryGal517, Mar 7, 2014.

1. CountryGal517

CountryGal517 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    Can anybody help? After spending some time with the chickens my husband found that ind of the chickens has a round swollen eggish shaped spot and we have no idea what it is or what could have caused it... Any ideas??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Not a vet here. Disclaimer done. I would check for mites/lice. On the bird and on its roost. Then do some research on ovarian peretinitus I f that spot is under its bum. I know I couldn't spell that right. It could be a number of things.

Wish ya the best.

3. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Could be egg bound, so gently feel and see if you can determine whether it is an egg or not. Otherwise, I would guess it could be a tumor, but I don't think that is likely.

4. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh My.
    (not as bad as my chicken)
    Also look for Vetericn Wound & Skin care! One of my chickens had some of there breast pulled off and I sprayed Vetericyn on there 3 times per day keep her away from other chickens by her self and she is fine!

5. CountryGal517

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    This showed up rather quickly we've only had our hens for a week and a half....

6. WindStep

WindStep Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2014
    @cstronks I do aree that it is probily NOT a rash or wound.

7. CountryGal517

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    It's like a soft ball maybe a very large cyst?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a cyst or a tumor. Did your chicken have a Mareks vaccine? Mareks disease can cause lymphomas--it is one of many symptoms of the disease. An abcess would be another cause--they are usually soft with liquid inside.

9. CountryGal517

Feb 25, 2014
    Georgetown, KY
    Would something like that get to be the size of say a little bigger than a golf ball within a few days??

10. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is she molting? Looks like she may be pecking/picking at this area due to irritation. I would wash area and apply an antibiotic ointment(nothing ending in "caine/cane",toxic to birds). Almost looks like a hot spot. Is she eating /drinking and pooping?

Has she been checked for mites/lice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by