Please help, I've lost 2 chicks already

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Luv4chickens17, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Luv4chickens17

Luv4chickens17 Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Hi there, I'm not experienced with disease in chickens so I'm hoping you can help.
    I have about 20 chicks that are one week old and are in a brooder. I hatched half of them and bought a few from a couple different breeders. Most are pretty fancy breeds and cost a bit of $$.
    I started them on a more organic non-medicated feed per the advice of one of the breeders.
    All chicks have been happy and healthy until later in the evening I noticed one was lethargic. Despite my efforts she passed that evening.
    Then yesterday everyone was happy and healthy so I thought maybe it was a fluke, she must have not been a strong chick. But I woke up to another dead this morning. No signs last night at all in that chick. It was alive and fine and then dead the next morning.
    I've been watching these babies closely and notice one of the older ones (a week or two older) seems to be showing some symptoms. Less perky, glassy eye, not eating as much, and I can hear a sound when she breaths like liquidy inside, and she has been shaking her head a lil bit as if something were on her beak.

The only things I've done have been brought in a big chunk of grass with dirt & roots attached to give them something to dig at and keep them entertained so they don't get too bored and a small dish with sand for them to use as grit or to play in. Just another thing to keep them from getting bored. I thought the dirt was good exposure for them as well as the sand but could it have been too soon? Do the symptoms sound like a particular disease? There's no blood in the poo but I did see a slight red color in a couple of droppings but figured it was the intestinal lining I had read about.

I went to the feed store to get Corrid last night but the guy advised me to just use medicated feed instead. Can someone help me please? I don't want to lose another chick.

Oh & their environment is good..fresh water, paper towels have been used over hardwire but changed daily & I'm using the Brinsea Ecoglow20 for heat.

Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    Honestly, having young chicks without medicated feed is a risk. Try adding electrolytes to their water. You can find the little packets at feed stores.
    But that's all I can tell you I'm not that experienced in chick diseases.

3. Luv4chickens17

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you. Yeah, I'll never do un-medicated again. That's for sure. I have them on it now as of this morning but not sure if it's too late.

4. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    The medicated feed can help prevent an outbreak, but is low dose so will not treat an actual outbreak. If you suspect that is what you have going on you need to treat.

The 9.6% Corid liquid dose I use is 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

The 20% Corid powder dose I use is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

Medicated water must be their only source of water (no creeks, puddles ponds, etc.)"

Don't delay treatment, start as soon as possible. You can also make a drench with the corid to give to an individual bird if it's very sick.
    If you have liquid corid, just use a drop or two straight (the dose using the 9.6% liquid is 0.02 ml per 100 grams bird weight (one drop = ~0.02 ml). For the powder you mix 1/2 tsp of powder in 10 ml of water. Dose the bird 0.07 ml of that mixture per 100 grams of weight of the bird, once a day for up to three days. The drench is used in addition to the treatment above, if neccessary.

After treatment follow up with vitamins and probiotics in the water for a few days. No vitamins until treatment is complete.

Also, there is a coccidiosis vaccine, and if the chicks were vaccinated, then the medicated feed nullifies the vaccine.

5. Luv4chickens17

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you for this information. Do the symptoms sound like coccidiosis to you? It's so hard to tell because as I mentioned the chick that died last night showed no signs of sickness. The others seem to be happy and healthy as well with the exception of the older one.
    Would you recommend individually treating them all to prevent further deaths?

I will start treatment this evening.

6. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Some of the symptoms sound like it could be coccidiosis, the one chick sounds like it could be a respiratory issue.
    Lethargic, fluffed up, not eating or drinking are symptoms, red in the droppings could be also.
    Intestinal lining is usually more pinkish orange, blood more bright red. But not all strains of cocci will present with blood.
    Runny or mucousy droppings are also a sign.
    Corid is pretty safe, and unlikely to cause any harm. If in doubt, I would go ahead and treat.
    If they are all in the same brooder then they have all been exposed so I'd treat them all.
    You don't have to individually drench each bird as long as they are drinking normally on their own. If they are too sick, then use the drench.
    Just make sure the treated water is the only water they have, and make fresh every day.
    And watch for any more respiratory symptoms.
    Hopefully they will get better.

7. Luv4chickens17

Mar 14, 2017
    Thank you! I started the treatment and I didn't lose any last night so that's good. Fingers crossed they all get healthier now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by