Please help l am a new mommy to a baby goat!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by creativity01, Mar 7, 2014.

1. creativity01

creativity01 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    If anyone can give me advice on how to take care of this baby I will appreciate it a lot. I have no ide what I am doing and I want to do a great job because I wanted this baby for a long time. So any help I am open to everything. Thanks and god bless!

2. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    How old of a baby? Are you bottle feeding or is it weaned? What kind of goat is it? Where are the pictures?
    So many questions...[​IMG]

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Kathyryn is right, we need a lot more information to even be able to start to help.

To add to the questions, do you own any other goats? Goats should not be alone, so if this kid is your only goat, you will need to plan on another goat. They are herd animals, and need that companionship of a like animal. If you own other goats and the kid will join the herd when he or she is big enough, then disregard.

4. creativity01

May 1, 2013
    Sorry it took me so long. Here is the picture of the baby goat. I decided to call her Minnie because she is so small. The owner has no idea how old it is. I am not sure if it's a Pygmy or an Nigerian. All the goats on her farm are small in size even the adults. So please if you can help me by telling me how old is the baby and what to do. I went to the feed store and got some things for here. She is now following me everywhere and when I call her or even if she hears my footsteps she begins to make her cute sound. So please any advice would help. Oh should I be bottle feeding her too? Remember previous owner knows nothing about this baby she gave me. Thanks and God Bless!
    [​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    She may or may not need a bottle. Is she eating hay and grain well? Does she try to suck on your finger? If she is eating her hay and grain, she doesn't need a bottle. She does need to be vaccinated for tetanus and entertoxemia ASAP. You can get CD/T vaccine at the feed store.

6. creativity01

May 1, 2013
    Yes she is eating grains, hay, and drinking lots of water. No she is not sucking on my finger. Can I get those vaccines in the feed store? What is CD/T vaccine. I'm sorry to ask but if there is something I don't know, I will ask. Can you tell what type of breed or/and the age? It would be a big help

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Any guess on age won't be terribly accurate. I'd say she is 2-3 months old, but that could be way off. She could be older if she is a slow growing goat, or younger if she is a fast grower. Someone else can probably guess as well. If she is eating hay and grain, and is also drinking, then she is probably weaned. That makes things easier on you.

To me, she looks Nigerian. A little too lithe to be a pygmy. But that is just a guess as well.

The CDT vaccine is a vaccine prevents enterotoxemia caused by the toxins of Clostritium perfringens types C & D (overeating disease), and tetanus. You will need to give an initial dose and later a booster. It can be found in any feed store IF they keep a fridge with vaccines, as it is quite common. The CDT vaccine is a single vaccine, it just does several things.

8. SA Farm

SA Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I would also say Nigerian. To me she looks about 2-3 months old, but as Stacykins said, it's just a guess.
    Regardless, she's lovely! [​IMG]

9. duckiefanatic

duckiefanatic Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I would guess nigerian also. We raise NPGA registered Pygmies and she doesnt have any of the breed characteristics of a pygmy goat. she is awfully pretty!

10. creativity01

May 1, 2013
    She is such a ball of love and i am enjoy every minute with her! Thanks everyone, for such a huge help! Mini has her appointment with the vet on Monday hopeful everything goes well! I will keep you updated. Thanks and god bless you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by