Please Help!! Large scab on chest

norrissammy

Hatching
Oct 19, 2016
For the past month my gen has had a large looking crop. It would go down sometimes but has stayed swollen. This morning I was checking her out and noticed there is a huge scab on the bump. I'm not quite sure what this is or what to do about it. It's not painful when you touch it, she's been eating and drinking normally. Does anyone know what this could be?

Is it directly on the crop? Could have had an impacted crop and it burst. I've seen it happen before. Could also have been an access from a thorn or scratch that busted. I would clean it up and apply neosporin (without pain relief!) and see how she does.

Does it smell bad or have infection in it?

It doesn't smell bad but it feels very hard. I cleaned it really well and put ointment on it and I'm keeping her separated from the others. You don't think it could be mites ??

I would keep it clean and watch the wound. Infection is hard in chickens. It could have infection in it. The ointment will help bring it to the surface. I have never seen mites cause anything that bad but anything is possible. Check her closely around the vent and under her wings for mites or lice.

Back
Top Bottom