Please HELP.....leg looks broken on my 3 month old BR..!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tinalibnania, Oct 17, 2011.

1. tinalibnania

tinalibnania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    It is so windy here today and I believe a board fell sideways on the leg of my girl. She squaked so loud and made it about 15 ft back into the run and then layed down. I picked her up gently and she seems alert and somewhat calm in my hand but her foot is limp.I have her in the living room now on a towel laying bon the good side. She is not too panicky but if she does get up she completely holds her leg up...What do I DO?....There is no externalbleeding that I can find, leg itself is not bent so I think it might be down by the foot or the foot....I feel so guilty and bad so I want all ideas on how to make her comfortable and let her try to heal as best as possible....Please!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  2. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    She is also making a "trilllllll" noise but not too much, what is this?

3. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Anyone?

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    all I could think to do is feel the whole leg and each toe to see if I could feel something broken. If it is just sore and not broken it will heal on it's own. If it is broken then it may heal broken and I would want to keep the chicken pain free but i don't think there is anything you could logically do for it.
    I have had a chick that had a messed up leg, it was holding it up and when I picked it up the leg dangled. I couldn't decide what to do about it, I wasn't sure if I should bandage it or not. little by little (as I pondered what the heck to do about it) the chick used it's leg more and more and it walks fine today, you can't even tell the leg was messed up. I am not saying do nothing for it, I think that is a bad choice, but you could get lucky like I did.

5. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Well when she stand up she can tuck that leg up so she has movement in the upper thigh region, but I just noticed some pulled feathers by the bottom thigh by where the leg attaches. She is laing here on the floor next tome and I will keep her inside for a couple days. At least there is no sign of broken skin and the leg itself feels solid...I should know,fell down the stairs and broke my foot myself....I just feel a little helpless as I have had great luck with healthy chickens thus far....and I hate to see suffering, I feel so bad....I want her to be comfortable and need to know if I am doing the right thing by keeping her inside with some food and water to heal

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Definitally keep her inside for a few days, to avoid other chickens stressing the wound. Keep her comfortable somewhere, such as a dog kennel with a towel on the bottom, and give her plenty of food and water. Make sure she's eating and drinking. If you don't feel a break anywhere, you should probably just keep her inside until she can walk again. It may be a sprain or something along those lines. You're doing the right thing [​IMG]

7. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Is the "trilllllllllllllll" because she is stressed?

8. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    As i am laying on the floor next to her,she has stuffed herself under my chest,poor thing is hiding [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. tinalibnania

Sep 29, 2011
    Detroit
    Quote:thank you [​IMG]

10. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    OMG you poor thing!!! if it is broken and displaced you dont want it to heal crooked..... feel the whole leg you will feel it especially if it is displaced. If it is cracked you dont want her walking on it for 6 weeks. if you cant get to a vet for xrays then splint it anyway. I would first wrap in snug not tight gauze then find something for strength. I have used starbucks stirsticks before, but you can use anything around the house that is stiff and thin and does not weigh a lot. I taped (dont use paper tape it wont work, use the breathable plastic tape) over the stir sticks then, but have added plaster tape to my er kit since then. keep her in a cage the she cant move around a lot until you can get her to the vet for xrays. please keep us updated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by