Please help! lethargic, panting etc

itsokay

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Please help. My 6 month old barred rock is very ill. She's not eating, has runny whitish green poo and she's very lethargic. She just stands in one spot and doesn't move. She also seems to be panting as her beak is wide open!

I've moved her inside and she's in a dog crate with some electrolites.

I feel like she is dying. What can I do? She's my favourite.

The 3 other chickens are fine. It's not hot here. No lice or mites...

Update: just made her a scrambled egg and she's pecking at it. Still not moving, wont sit down and panting though.

I felt around her back end for a stuck egg but didnt feel one. Not sure if I did it right though

I would stick a finger 1-2 inches into the vent (with a rubber glove) to feel for an egg. Do you have any medications to treat for coccidiosis, such as Corid, Sulmet, or Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine?) Any antibiotics? It's still possible that she could get that, and it won't hurt to treat. Feel of her crop to see if it is puffy or hard. Use a small bowl or cup and hold it under her beak to drink or dip her beak into the electrolytes.

Thank you! I don't have those medicines. Can I get them at a farm store?
I've been giving electrolytes with a syringe.

Yes, a farm or feed store will sell Corid in the cattle section. Get that one, but if not availble I would get either sulfadimethoxine or sulmet.

I tried to feel around for her crop but can't even find it. Normally it's easy to detect.

She died. She was panting all day then had seizure and died. :( :(
Heartbroken. I loved her.

I guess I didnt get the medicine in time.

Sorry for your loss. Sometimes doing your own necropsy to look for disease in the intestines, a blocked gizzard, or a stuck egg can give you an answer. They are hard to do on a pet, but sometimes solves the mystery.

Back
Top Bottom