Please Help, lethargic rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Love my Critters!, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have had a post on emergencies since yesterday with no response. We are very worried about our rooster, Romeo, and don't have a clue what to do for him.
    I have had him for 1 year, I don't know how old he was when we got him. He has had "poopy butt" for about 1 week, I cut out all treats, he eats layer and everyone gets a little BOSS as a treat in the evening. He has watery poo, really watery. His comb is not as bright and he is sitting down A LOT, he was even sitting down crowing this morning and just watching his "ladies" free range, instead of going with them. He is our only rooster and is a wonderful one at that. He is in with 20 hens and they free range in a fenced in acre.
    We love him very much, and want to help. Any suggestions.

Also, the vets here in our town don't have a clue as to what to do for chickens, already checked.

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Do you know how old he is?
    What temperatures have you been having there? (and what cooling mechanisms do you use?)
    Has he been wormed? If so, when and with what?
    Any chance he has mites? Can you check him closely without stressing him too much?
    Do you know if he's eating and drinking? (some evidence suggests that layer food has too much calcium for roos and can cause problems - may not have anything to do with his current problem but you might want to also have a game bird maintenance food available for him at all times- lower calcium).
    He may benefit from some extra nutrition like Rooster Booster or Avia Charge 2000 (can obtain on line).
    While you're waiting for that stuff you could put apple cider vinegar ("with the mother") in his water for a couple of days. Do a search here on BYC - lots of info about ACV. DOn;t serve in metal container.
    Can you tell if his crop is okay?
    Clearly something is way wrong with your poor boy and my heart goes out to you - I adore my sweet roo too. I really hope you can help him and that he'll thrive again.
    Keep checking for answers - help will come along.
    JJ

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I have never dewormed any of my chickens. Here in the desert it only rains twice a year or so, and we don't usually have any problems with parasites, so I never though about it. He does no have mites or lice. It has been around 100-103 the past couple of weeks, but before that we were about 110-117 so it has actually been cooler. I have a mister that runs from about noon until about 5 or 6 in the evening that cools it down by 20-30 degrees, because we have no humidity. I do not know his age.

Hope this extra info helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by