1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please HELP!!!LIMPING HEn ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kera!, Aug 16, 2011.

1. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    MY Sussex hen 21 weeks old is limping and hoping all around my coop has roost and a rooste shelf but the jump is only 2 1/2 feet at most any where .. her feet look fine.. no scabs and if they are swollen they are the same size...she was in the coop hooping and hollering , but she is in general loud I thought she might be gonna lay .. and when she walked it was a hop... Please Help..

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I am dealing with the same thing. I will tell you what others on here have told me. I by no means have any experience, but my hen is doing better, and came to this area to post the good news.

First they told me to seperate her and keep her from jumping up and down on the roost. So I crated her.

They told me to give her 1/4 aspirin each 12 hours. I have for 5 days now. Tricky to hide it in the food, and have it not drop out of that food.

I then on my own, thought IF she did have something stuck in her foot, infection might be setting in, so I have her on Duramyicin (1 tsp/gallon water).

Past that, I have no experience. Called the ONLY bird vet in my area, and it was $60 bucks to walk through the door, and then anything passed that was more $$ Not an option for us at this time.

Good luck, and wish you well. Hopefully some one with more experience will come on and help!

3. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    I cant seclude her at all I do not have any where to put her ,,, she seems to be walking ok but when she tries to go fast she hops,, I hope it is just an injury and it will heal she has had her shots... so I dont think mareks she is my favorite hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by