Please help list reasons why NOT to hatch like this!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tootsie, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I just got this HATCHING video sent to me that someone sent thinking it was cute obviously not realizing the dangers and jeopardy for the chicks of what the woman in the video did during hatch. The woman in the HATCHING video needs to realize she is teaching her kids the WRONG WAY and I figured all of you hatching experts could add your 2 cents and maybe we can get through to her NOT to do it again! I know it has been passed around and I do not want young ones being taught wrong and repeating this thinking it is right. For the sake of the chicks trying to hatch and trying to dry and all the upcoming future chicken lovers please help me get this point across to her. Once the thread is going I may forward the link so she perhaps will reconsider repeating her mistakes. I thank you all for your time. This will be for learning purposes and to help any future chicks trying to hatch or children trying to hatch them. If more than one person speaks up hopefully she will listen.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3i-_mbfTSTyQ1UtaUVLejU1R0U/edit

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    keep it closed and keep your d**n hands off of a hatching egg.

When they start hatching, go have a cup of coffee and read a book.

3. Tootsie

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    This is being circulated in our 4-H community and I don't want the children or their parents to be misinformed. I know the person who sent it to me had no clue either.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Seriously.. y'all would have a hissy fit if you saw how I hatch out eggs.. i am hands on.. I DO NOT believe in the foolish "lockdown" rule.. been hatching out chicks for well over 50 years and I get 100% hatch rates on undamaged fertile eggs.. hatch out everything from muscovy, quail, parrots to ratites and everything in between...

Just because someone invented the "lockdown" rule people get their panties in a twist if they see someone who is hands on.. i say if her eggs hatch and she gets good hatch rates then let the woman do it her way since obviously it works for her!

the "lockdown" rule was invented so newbies would keep their hands off the bators.. then if something went wrong and they had opened the bators it was all their fault.. old timers invented it to avoid dealing with newbies who would mess with bators and had no idea what they were doing.. but some of us were hatching out eggs a heck of a long while before the rule was handed out like candy... so get a grip guys... there is more than one way to hatch out a chick!

and nope.. the video isn't mine..

2 people like this.
  5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

and I call passing out the "lockdown" rule to be misinformation......

the video did not look like an instructional video to me.. it was merely a woman showing a chick hatching.. having the bator open the way she did does not endanger the chicks.. also using tweezers to move the shell doesn't cause them to suddenly keel over... if you are so afraid the people will get the wrong idea how to hatch chicks.. then perhaps send them a link to this entire forum so they can see how many people hatch out eggs and their different techniques...

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    haha!!
    I don't consider it lockdown and I can quickly adjust my humidity in the hatcher. I have had shrink wrapped chicks ( usually didn't make it) when I went in too often but often I don't even move eggs into the hatcher until the last day.
    That said, only my broodies have had 100% hatch rates. I blame much of that on cheap thermometers and hygrometers.

I still don't understand why one would help a chick out of an egg while they were hatching.

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    LOL, after reading your post I was expecting the video to be of someone hatching eggs in the oven or something. Sorry I wasn't offended by her methods.

8. Tootsie

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    LOL, That was funny the oven you make me laugh. The tweezers were not at all needed either. I agree with this "I still don't understand why one would help a chick out of an egg while they were hatching." I meant that I would use your responses for instructional purposes only not to make anyone feel bad or anything like that but just to learn.

I welcome all comments, one can always learn and that is what this forum is all about! Keep 'em coming!

9. HOTONE

HOTONE Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    Peachland North Carolina
    TODAY I HAD TO PEEL AN EGG SO THE CHICK COULD COME OUT. THE MEMBRANE WAS RUBBERY AND IT COULDNT PIERCE THRU IT. I THOT THE VIDEO WAS GREAT... SO FOLKS DONT BE AFRAID TO HELP A CHICK OUT!!!!

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So am I to assume that hatcheries that hatch 10s of thousands of chicks every day have thousands of people that help them out?

I think they let them hatch on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by