Please help! Listless chick won't eat or drink.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Imma Okie, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Imma Okie

Imma Okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I just picked up my chicks today that I purchased locally, (that were ordered from Cackle Hatchery) and one of them is very listless. (Her wings are down and seems to be sleepy.) She isn’t eating or drinking and doesn’t run around like the others. She has only pooped once (that I have seen), and it was normal new chick poop, just smaller, no diarrhea. I have mixed up some Durvet in water to spoon feed her, in addition to trying just plain sugar water (hoping to energize her enough to eat a little). She gets a little water down when I spoon it to her. She has been like this since I picked them up late morning.
    What else should I be doing? Is this "starve-out"? Anyone?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. Coopacabana

Coopacabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    try a bit of scrambled egg. I've never done it but i've heard of it. i give sugar water to all my chicks, but you're already doing that. some chicks just aren't meant to make it, it's sad but true. hopfully she'll warm up and start zipping around.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Vitamins and electrolytes, make sure she is warm enough. Cold chicks are not hungry. Consider cocci

4. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I'd isolate her from the others. Keep her under a heat lamp and offer her mashed hard boiled egg. Be sure to dip her beak in the water also. You might want to get some Lafeber's Critical care nutrition (available through a vet only. If you're lucky, your vet may have a free sample). We managed to save a sick chick by syringe feeding this food for a week, she's now one of our best egg layers. Good luck!

5. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all for the advice, however I just didn't have enough time to utilize it. She didn't make it. No matter what I offered her, she wouldn't take it.

6. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I will see if I can find some Lafeber's. That sounds like it is good to have on hand. Thank you!

7. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping, but it didn't look good.

Thank you.

8. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    Forse her to drink. She wont poop if she is constipated.[​IMG]

9. Imma Okie

Dec 2, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Sadly, she didn't make it through the night.

10. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    sorry the little one didn't make it. i think sometimes their life force is too far gone for them to make a come back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by