1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help lost five 6 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chris328, Apr 27, 2011.

1. chris328

chris328 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    i went out to coop and found one dead flat chic one chic head and 3 others compleatly gone i thought i made this coop pred proof i dug a 12 inch ditch all around coop put wire down. there were no holes around coop the only thing i could find was that the corrigated roofing panels had some play maybe an inch could something could have squezed in and squeezed out with the chics? these chics were so healthy and happy i cant belive this happened after all i went through to prevent this.please help

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Awwwww [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm soo sorry this happened! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

But I've no idea what you are saying please help for... [​IMG] [​IMG]

All I can help with is more [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Before anyone can determine the type of predator I think you need to do some detective work and figure out how ot got in. An inch between the corrugated panel and a beam would not allow the usual suspects to gain entrance. Have you gotten any more info?

4. chris328

chris328 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    to the first person who answered i want help with what kind o preditor got to them[/b]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    to the second answer i checked every where no holes around the coop no loose or broken wire only thing i saw was the play in the roof. thank you for your reply

5. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    From your description I have a similar set as you do. There is some space between my corrugated roof and the beam but it would not be enough for a substantial predator to get in and do the damage you describe then get out the same way after having feasted on chicks. A racoon or possum could climb up but they are certainly too big to get into an inch hole. A snake could do it but that small a snake would be an unlikely predator in this situation. What type of wire do you have?? I am really stymied but would certainly like to know what could have done that.

[​IMG]]

6. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    I am a newbie but a friend gave me some advice about building my coop. She had been raising baby ducks and she had a weasel/mink squeeze through a hole about an inch wide, maybe just slightly larger, but it was a small opening! She said we do have mink and weasels in our area. She lost all her baby ducks:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by