Please help lost five 6 week old chicks

chris328

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
i went out to coop and found one dead flat chic one chic head and 3 others compleatly gone i thought i made this coop pred proof i dug a 12 inch ditch all around coop put wire down. there were no holes around coop the only thing i could find was that the corrigated roofing panels had some play maybe an inch could something could have squezed in and squeezed out with the chics? these chics were so healthy and happy i cant belive this happened after all i went through to prevent this.please help

Awwwww
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I'm soo sorry this happened!
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

But I've no idea what you are saying please help for...
hu.gif
idunno.gif

All I can help with is more
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Before anyone can determine the type of predator I think you need to do some detective work and figure out how ot got in. An inch between the corrugated panel and a beam would not allow the usual suspects to gain entrance. Have you gotten any more info?

to the first person who answered i want help with what kind o preditor got to them[/b]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to the second answer i checked every where no holes around the coop no loose or broken wire only thing i saw was the play in the roof. thank you for your reply

From your description I have a similar set as you do. There is some space between my corrugated roof and the beam but it would not be enough for a substantial predator to get in and do the damage you describe then get out the same way after having feasted on chicks. A racoon or possum could climb up but they are certainly too big to get into an inch hole. A snake could do it but that small a snake would be an unlikely predator in this situation. What type of wire do you have?? I am really stymied but would certainly like to know what could have done that.

]

I am a newbie but a friend gave me some advice about building my coop. She had been raising baby ducks and she had a weasel/mink squeeze through a hole about an inch wide, maybe just slightly larger, but it was a small opening! She said we do have mink and weasels in our area. She lost all her baby ducks:(

Back
Top Bottom