PLEASE HELP lost two hens for sure and 3 are missing????

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marilyn15, Aug 3, 2010.

1. marilyn15

marilyn15 In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Hello everyone,
    I have never posted on here but really need some help or reassurance. We have 9 hens, 2 older ones Nelly and Roberta (they are fine) Scout, Jem, and Small Fry ( they are missing) and then we have 4 other ones we recently got that are about the same age as Scout Jem and Smallfry. Anyway, last night I was tending to our 1 year old daughter and was unable to get out to the coop to close them up right away but did make it out before dark. Anyway during the day they free range but before dark we always lock them up. We just started getting our chickens in April so new to this but also knew to always lock them up before dark.
    So I ranout to lock them up and the two older ones Nelly and Roberta were on the roost (they are always the first ones up there), and Scout, Jem and Small Fry were not there and they always are with the two older ones. So I started looking around bec ause our 4 new ones usually take longer to get on the roost. Our Coop is very secure so as long as we lock it up at night it is sooo safe. Well I walked all over the yard and found a trail of feathers and realized something had happened. When my husband came home he searched some more and realized 2 from the flock of 4 were dead, one all we found was feathers and the other was just killed. (My husb and thinks I may have spooked the predator when I went out there). The hens wre apparently drug from our yard into the woods because that is where we found the dead one and the rest of the other ones feathers.
    What I am wondering is we have not found any evidence of the other three, it is like they are missing. I walked the woods today and can not find any sign of them. I am hoping and praying they are scared and just hiding, but thought if they heard my voice they would come running since they always come running to me for treats. Can someone give me some advice? I am sooo devastated and wondered if they will ever find their way home?
    BTW my husband has his 22 ready for what we think is a fox. I just pray they are okay, they are really sweet birds and I have become wayyy tooo attached to them![​IMG]

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Quote:[​IMG] They very well could be hiding in the trees somewhere theres alot of storys about chickens comeing home later on the forums. Don't give up just yet they may be frightened the fact that you stated one was just dead and one was just feathers suggest you either scared it off in action (the predator) or he was perhaps full? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good luck hope the rest come safely home.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Crowing 9 Years

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I lost four in one day to a fox - I am sorry for your loss

Remember that saying - "Sly as a fox"

They really are

I walked my dog not 100 feet away from my flock

Lost my favorite hen within SECONDS

Of my six that went missing - I only found feathers for TWO, not the other four

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I had a broody Ameraucana that nested beside the house last year. She was within a couple days of the hatch and at 2 am heard her scream. I ran outside to find a possum and beat it to death. the next night at 3 am same scenario different possum. 3rd night around 1 am heard her scream went outside w a flashlight and could hear her scream as she was being chicknapped through the field. I felt helpless , I had no light bright enough to see that far and could still hear her as she was being carried 1/4 mile away. Sometime during the next day she showed up and had all her tail feathers plucked. I went and bought a spotlight for the top of my rifle that day. Cost was underpriced at $150. We no longer allow any chickens out at night. We have a lot of coyotes. Most stories don't end this way though.

5. cfdf

cfdf Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG] They very well could be hiding in the trees somewhere theres alot of storys about chickens comeing home later on the forums. Don't give up just yet they may be frightened the fact that you stated one was just dead and one was just feathers suggest you either scared it off in action (the predator) or he was perhaps full? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Good luck hope the rest come safely home.

YEPPERS! I agree. Don't give up....it's been a lucky day for chickens returning or being found. i'll keep my fingers crossed that you are one of the lucky ones. [​IMG]

6. marilyn15

marilyn15 In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Thank you to all of you for sharing your support and advice! I love all the chickens but the three that are missing are my buddies. I am an avid animal lover and grew up in the city and never in my wildest dreams thought I would be raising chickens. They are so sweet, and my husband and son started raising them and I just took a strong liking to them. My husband and I scoured the woods yesterday and at night with no luck but I am still hoping and praying. Thanks for the support! I am not a fan of foxes anymore! And I do think I must have scared him off, hopefully enough that the other three are still in hiding, and if they are hope they found water because with the heat index yesterday it was 115. Thanks again!

7. marilyn15

marilyn15 In the Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    So sorry to hear that. Yeah, mine still have not come back so probably a fox? We found feathers for 2 like you did. And the other 3 it was like they vanished. WE have searched and searched. I feel so sorry for 2 of our hens that were part of the 2 that we found deads flock, they are doing well but seem a little lost..........We got our chickens at different times. So our two older hens are at least still together ( they are smart and get on the roost early). The 3 that are missing were always together, but then we had four others that 2 were killed from. Will the other two just hang together now, or do you think my older hens will let them be a part of their flock??????? So new to this. Thanks

Quote:

8. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chirping

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    [​IMG] sorry about your losses! [​IMG] chickens normally don't let others join the flock. I have 3 chicks and the older ones peck them if they get to close. i used to hav 4 chicks but dog got my fav. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] stupid dog!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: