Please Help! Lots of blood!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenkerri, Dec 29, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had a chick hatch when I was gone tonight and when I returned there was quite a bit of blood in the incubator and the chick seems to be bleeding from his vent/butt. He's alive but seems weak. Any advice is appreciated!

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    He/she may have ruptured the umbilicus. I treated one chick with blood stop powder, which stopped the bleeding, but a couple days later they knocked it open when I wasn't around and they died. Sorry, maybe someone else will have a better solution/more positive projection for you.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

What do you see when you look at the navel? Is there a bump? Is it a LOT of blood or just streaks? It sounds like a rough navel and they can bleed to death from it. All you can do is try to stop the bleeding before it loses too much unless its a BIG bump that doesn't seal up well.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Do you have access to a styptic pencil, like you use if you nick your self shaving? I have used one with good results on chicks with bleeding. Otherwise try to put a drop of cornstarch directly on the spot where the bleeding is coming from. You can also try holding direct pressure on the bleeding site, but not hard enough to hurt the chick.

5. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I know cornstarch really works!!! Its better than the quikstop stuff and its natural. To prevent the scab comming off too soon, I used what we call over here in Australia - elastaplast or sticky plaster bandaids, just the sticky stuff not the padding. I cut a bit off the end of a elastaplast bandaid and place it on top of the cornstarch when it dries. It helps hold it there a little longer and gives more time for the healing to start. Also pluck any down/feathers around the area off to help it hold to the skin.
    This has worked over and over for my canaries and one really silly cockatoo and it should work for any bird. It also works for feathers that snap off and bleed. You pull the feather root out and do the same thing.
    I am currently starting to incubate button quails.

Training to become a vet nurse and seen the vet I work for do the same thing.

The Warden is so correct too. Firm steady pressure really slows the bleeding down, so it can be treated.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  6. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I put some cornstarch on his bum and the bleeding seems to have subsided. There is still a remnant of blood on his bum. What causes this sort of thing?

7. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    I have used super glue before.

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Mine have done that when they pop out before all the yolk is absorbed and they are ready to separate from the umbilicus. I have had it turn out good and I have had babies who never did well when they started that way. Give it time to dry up and see what happens. At least you got the bleeding stopped. I won't hatch eggs without my styptic pencil. I was taking pics of a little guy the other day then noticed a bloody trail where he had crawled. I yanked him out and he was bleeding profusely from the umbilical area but it was nearly all retracted. I wiped him with a paper towel so I could see exactly what was bleeding, touched it with the pencil and it stopped. I couldn't tell him from any of the others within an hour.

Good luck with your little one!

9. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    I had this problem too, the little bugger was bleeding good from his vent. One of the wells in the 'bator is tinged red and there are a couple sizable blood clots now on the bator floor. I ended up helping this chick from the shell. I think it was bleeding inside the shell as it shows quite a bit of blood inside. The bleeding has since stopped and the chick is peeping and moving about. The umbilicus had a very small piece hanging off it's belly too. Not sure what causes this. I'm glad someone asked this question.

This baby is the last in the 'bator (well, 5 eggs left but it's day 22 with no other signs). No one will be picking on him. Tomorrow I'll see if he's ready to move to the brooder.

10. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    I once had an adult button quail get scalped by another button quail. To stop the bleeding I dusted the bloody area with cooking flour. It helped stop the bleeding. And made it so the other birds didnt peck at it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by