PLEASE HELP: Lump in hen's neck, getting worse. See photo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hen houseparty, Mar 1, 2012.

1. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    What is this?
    [​IMG]
    She has been this way for about a month now. We tried olive oil and with-holding food, thinking it was impacted crop, but she steadily got worse. She had some breathing issues and was gasping for air. This is when we thought the crop was bad, so we decided to take a look, snip into the area and see...she lost some blood from the site and we closed her up, no old food stuff like impacted crop usually presents.

She is breathing better, though the lump has increased in size and no she holds her head to the side of her body, almost like she's pushing this lump up into the air.

I then read that a Gaping worm may be the issue and dosed her with Safeguard, though the lump continues.

She tries to eat by turning to the side and drinks water.

She's been isolating from the rest of the flock.

Please help if you have any ideas or suggestions.

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Well, since you "snipped into it" - I'm assuming you found no pus or oozy stuff? How deep did you go? What DID it look like? Tissue? Fat? what does it feel like? Hard? Squishy? Will it move easily around or is it fairly stationary when you try to move it? My first thought was a round of stiff antibiotics - like penicillin. But if it wasn't a pus pocket - I'm kind of at a loss.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    What was inside the lump? We need to know in order to help you.

4. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    blood was in the lump.

5. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    The lump is somewhat hard and moves around only a slight bit. It's causing her head to be coked off to the side of her body. [​IMG]

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Did the blood come from the skin being cut or did you actually cut into the lump? If the lump is vascular then it sounds like it may be a tumor. It is not out of the realm of possibility that she has a tumor, but an abscessed infection is much more common in birds.

7. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    When you cut into the lump - you say there was blood in it... were you able to "deflate" the lump by emptying out the blood? Or was it just bloody from being cut open... If it's an abcess, you should be able to at least partially deflate it by squeezing out the pus (which may even look bloody if mixed with enough blood), but if it is solid, then it's probably a tumor.

8. hen houseparty

hen houseparty New Egg

Mar 1, 2012
    Yes, when we opened it up, it "deflated" some. Then after about three days the lump is back to where it was. She's eating some and drinking, though has lost some energy and assertiveness at feeding time.

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    There was nothing other than blood in it? No white, cottage cheese-like stuff inside? I am still thinking infection is more likely than tumor, but if there was no evidence of infection then it must be a tumor. Not much can be done about that other than euthanizing her when she gets too ill.

10. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Does not matter now... but, you should always do the home Q-tip test to test for gapeworms before treating for it. It's pretty rare. Also, I don't think Safeguard will treat it anyway... so, if she did have it, which is doubtful, the safeguard would not have taken care of it.

Listen to CMV, good advice there, always.

Best of luck... If you can find one, have one nearby, can take her to a poultry certified veterinarian, and if you can afford it, that might be the only thing you can do to possibly keep her alive.

Take care...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by