please help ma asap supposed to snow wil chicks be ok???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by djwingo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. djwingo

djwingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    ok it is supposed to snow here tommorow or sunday i have 5 chickens that are abt 6 weeks old maybe 7 im not sure they are in a pen inside a stall that is enclosed except abt 3 inches around the top i put hay and cedar shavings in there i have no electric out there so cant do a heat lamp

will they be ok?? any suggestions ? please help thanks alot !!!

2. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] i forgot to mention that their pen is off of the floor and built on a shelf that is abt 4 feet high off ground

and the sides of the pen are just wire

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

dj....first of all....cedar? I think thats not good for them, toxic even. Or maybe did you mean pine shaveings? Is there no way for you to run an extension cord out there?? Maybe a heavy duty one, like the orange or green ones?? If not....then I would get something to close in the sides...even if its just a tarp....close them up good, make sure there is plenty for them to snuggle down in. Good luck....Maybe this cold wont last long!!

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Cedar is definitely too strong an odor for them. Just use the straw. Here's a thought, try putting a box or container filled with straw INSIDE the pen after wrapping the pen in a tarp. The box should have a hole or something (set on the side etc.) so the chicks can get in and out easily. Having a box filled with cozy straw will allow their body temp to keep the smaller space warmer than trying to keep warm in the bigger pen surroundings.
    Best wishes!

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Just curious, but is there a reason that you can't bring them in the house for the night? Is size the issue? Wishing you all the best. [​IMG]

6. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    oops lol i did mean pine sorry [​IMG] too wet to run an extension cord our backyard floods pretty badly i will wrap the pen with a tarp or blanket and try putting a box filled with straw in there !! cant out them in house because their pen isnt moveable and they are too big and would fly out of a tub [​IMG] my babies are growing up!!

thanks for all the great advice everyone [​IMG]

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Don't worry bout the cord getting wet or being under the snow, be sure it is heavy duty. I run extension cords all over the yard. My electric fence is run off an extension cord. The light in the coop is on 24/7, but I only leave the radio on for them during the day.

8. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi again,
    The small box filled with straw should do the job. Just another thought-it may or may not be possible for you... I ran my extention cord to my pen and we have a REALLY REALLY wet yard. What I did was raise the cord off the ground using lawn chairs. Just put the cord over several spread out chairs to keep it from touching down. You would of course need a heavy duty cord. Even one 60 watt bulb would help warm the babies.

Good luck with your babies tonight!

9. djwingo

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    thanks again all we made it through 1 cold night the box idea and a tarp did the job [​IMG] i will keep in mind the extension cord thing didnt think of lawn chairs!! great idea! thanks for all the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by