Please help!! Male or female

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Stuapea, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Stuapea

Stuapea New Egg

Nov 18, 2015
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    He is a 22week ish white booted bantam silkie, one day I think she's a he then I think he's a she.
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think you have two cockerels :(.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The black and white bird is definitely male. Can you get a clearer shot of the white one. The feathers aren't silkied and it doesn't have dark skin so it's not a Silkie. Can't see the feathering properly to make a male/female determination. By 22 weeks, both pullets and cockerels have red combs.

4. Stuapea

Stuapea New Egg

Nov 18, 2015
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    That's a shame was told that's what he/she was, are these pictures any better......
    ,[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. JeanR

JeanR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Montana
    Agree, it is not a Silkie, that would have "feathers like fur"--no webs. And Silkies have black skin and combs are "purple"--never red. It is a cockerel, as pullets comb, are very small (also purple) and hidden under the crest. We see few non bearded Silkies in the US any longer.
    You have crossbreds, lovely pet bantams. Enjoy them, but if you want the "real deal", go on line, for a Silkie search and locate a breeder, not a poultry jumble sale, and be rewarded with a gorgeous Silkie--pair? Good luck.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Still can't see the feathering possible. You need to get a very crisp photo of the feathers on the back, near the base of the tail; and that can be difficult when photographing a solid white bird. Most males, regardless of breed, will have long, thin, pointed saddle feathers by 16 weeks.

7. Stuapea

Stuapea New Egg

Nov 18, 2015
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Thanks , yeah the breed of them don't bother me love them just the same and there personalitys are great, just needed to know sex as the black and white in top picture I know is male and the other black and white (polish) so I've been told, but he is also male,

The white one just confuses me, as he cleans the male in the top picture and beds with him at night with no problems lol, yet the other male sleeps in the down stairs part and they have just started to fight :/

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking cockerel.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    looks like a silkie mix and that off color comb is big - I have to say cockerel

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Both birds are cockerels. Sorry. :eek:(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by