1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help!! Marek's?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deannas99, Aug 11, 2014.

1. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    It wasn't until about a week ago, that I noticed my 2 month old hen was struggling walking in the coop. I assumed she had a hurt leg, and just needed a day or two to recover. So I put her in a pen, and a little over a week later, she's not doing any better. Mopsy is still eating, but I haven't seen her really drink anything. She has shown no interested in wanting to walk, or get better for that matter. She just lays there, with her one leg to the side of her. She has no bumps on either legs, but can't seem to stand up on her right leg. This made me thing she was paralyzed.. But she can still pull Her leg up when you hold her. She seems alert, especially when you bring her snacks. Her eyes look normal, as well as her poop. I'm getting worried, because she's not getting better, and today, she's been closing her eyes a lot. Is this marek's? What can I do? Or do you think she has a dislocated hip or leg!!? Thank you so much, I am really stressing. I don't want to loose my girl <3

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If she has gone that long without drinking, she won't live. I would be giving her vitamins and electrolytes orally to build up her strength, plus some scrambled egg and moistened chicken feed to eat. She could have a sprained leg or possibly a slipped tendon or deformed or twisted bone in her leg. Mareks may be the cause, but I would explore other possibilities first.
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/267256/slipped-tendon-in-4-day-old-chick-any-hope

3. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    thank you so much! I think that this is what she might have, and would of never even thought of it on my own. Is she able to recover from it? Or is it something she will have to "learn to live with" !?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Some people have been able to fix a slipped tendon, but many aren't able to. Twisted tibia or other leg deformities are not fixable unfortunately. Sometimes the tendons can blow out or leg bones can break spontaneously from leg deformities that are more common in meat chickens. A lot of these problems are hereditary or due to mineral deficiencies in parent stock.

5. deannas99

deannas99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Thank you so much! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by