1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please help me....1st time broody sitting on eggs, 1st time for me, She is STARVING HERSELF! :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrycakelady, Jul 29, 2014.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chirping

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    :( The thread title should state it all.......as you know from my previous post, I had gotten my Olivia, a 1 1/2 yr. old RSL, 8 eggs from a friend, who has 8 hens and 2 roos......well, we put them all under her.....she only has 3 left...I don't know what has happened to the others....she is still in the nesting box where she has been since we gave her the eggs.....I had no where else to put her...she has done so welll........VERY PROTECTIVE, and will snap your head off if you get near her! :) I noticed her today, actually I took her out to examine her...she is LITERALLY SKIN AND BONES! :( I have placed food and water within her reach...is she just not eating? How do I help her? I can I boost her up with some other foods? She is very determined to sit on the 3 remaining eggs....she doesn't want to be bothered AT ALL. :( I feel like I am failing her...she was an excellent layer before all this, and a mild mannered healthy hen....I just want to cry. IF they are fertile, her hatch date should be around August 7/8..........PLEASE HELP ME if you can to know what I need to do.

2. khawks

khawks Chirping

Jun 4, 2014
    warsaw, virginia
    How attached are you to her hatching those eggs? I've found that broodies will go feed and drink water when we aren't looking....like at work or at ball practice. If youre not so attached to her hatching the eggs, then I would simply remove them. After about 2 days she will move on, its really the only way to break the broodiness. If you need her to hatch the eggs, try throwing some feed into her nesting box, trust me-she'll eat it

hope I helped! good luck

3. Theo

Theo In the Brooder

Dec 1, 2010
    The "disappearing eggs" could be the result of other chickens eating them. I had a broody that would sit like a champion, but the second she got off the nest to get a drink, the other hens would quickly eat an egg or two. The meanies!

4. Realtree4

Realtree4 Chirping

Mar 18, 2014
    Ohio
    Maybe boil an egg, cut it up and give it to her?

If she's not pooping on her eggs, then she is getting off the nest. Chickens can lose a lot of weight when brooding and look simply AWFUL after the hatch. Jut make sure she has very fresh water and food and space to move a bit. Also, watch for mites....a broody hen is a perfect meal for them. I learned that the hard way :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: