Please help me and my hen!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TiffanyJ, Jan 16, 2014.

1. TiffanyJ

TiffanyJ New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    I only have one little hen and I love her very much. She has a pen but prefers to roam around our huge back yard with our dogs and amazingly the dogs pay her no mind. Yesterday afternoon I found the dogs standing in a circle around my hen and immediately ran over to her. She was sitting on the ground and I checked and she seemed unharmed so I picked her up and placed her in her pen. That's when I noticed her limping and saw her right foot seemed kinda bent under her leg. She's now inside a large dog cage resting but I can not get her to eat or drink. Please help what can I do I'm afraid to lose her!

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. Lily21

Lily21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear about your chicken. The dog's must have hurt her. It would help if you got her another chicken to pal with. Chicken's don't like to be alone. Just give her some time to calm down, she is probably in shock from the episode. If she's not better in a couple of days if you have the money I would take her to a vet. Good luck

4. TiffanyJ

TiffanyJ New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    Thank you for your replies sorry I posted on the wrong spot I'm still figuring this out lol and I do plan on getting a few more chickens to be with her soon

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG]and welcome to BYC!

It is fine that you posted your hens condition here. No problem...we just send you over to the emergency section. :)

Sounds like your hen needs to be isolated for a while in order to heal. It may be broken or a sprain. Keep her in a small cage with food and water close for a while so she doesn't use the leg much. The have incredible abilities to heal. Over time you will know if she is going to get better or need to be put down. I am so sorry.

Good luck with your hen. :)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! I'd definitely post this in the Emergencies section. Good luck!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hen.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - good luck with your hen.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by