PLEASE HELP ME!!!! Bird peeping since yesterday and nothing since

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pheasantfrenzie, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello,
    I have a yellow golden pheasant that started peeping yesterday and there has been no movement since then. Should I crack the top off or is it to late. I know not to mess with the eggs while there hatching so I don't know what to do. I do have the humidity at 75% with the heat at 99.5

2. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    Has it been more than 24hrs? If so i usually come to a problem, they are stuck to the eg membrane. which by then my guineas and chicks have been in there so long there feet are messed up. I would just crack the egg a little bit and if its stuck to the membrane you may need to help it hatch----bbut if its not then id wait a little longer it can take them 2---24hrs to hatch

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    How do I help it hatch. I did peel away the shell that was hanging there which made a small hole where it had poked

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If you can give it a gentle poke and if it is alive is should move. If it is not moving/breathing it is likely dead.

5. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    raise humidity to 75%

or you can put the egg in warm water for few minutes.
    I have done this before

sometimes the shell is so hard even for you to break it.

if there is a peep hole on the egg , use a niddle to break the shell all around do not cut the white fils that covers the chick, just the shell

put the egg back in the bator

keep humidity high

6. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hello,
    I did poke and it didn't move so I did break off the white shell without disturbing the inside and by that point I did notice the little guy was dead. I really don't understand why it would die if it was peeping itself. This is the 4th little guy I have lost in the past month that has been fully grown but didn't make it out of the shell. I have raised the humidity alot while they are hatching with sponges so ifthey hatch they don't drown in water.
    What am I doing wrong!!!
    I have 8 more eggs that will hatch next week and I don't want to loose them.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    With quail last year, I was having a lot of "late dead in shell" chicks also. I was running very high humidities, 70 % or more.

I have subsequently learned that this can cause more problems than it solves. I did a semi-dry hatch this year, setting the RH at 40% for incubation and 52 to 55 % for hatch, and they have done much better. No more of the late dead in shell chicks, and absolutely no shrink wrapping. They hatch out very vigorous.

Here's a little problem solving chart from UC Davis. It actually says the opposite -- it says too low humidity and too high a temp causes them to pip and then die. So, I don't know, I just know what has worked for me.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs33.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by