PLease help me calibrate my hygrometer

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
I put my hygrometer in the salt and water mixture in the bag. then I realized I was supposed to put it beside the mixture in the bag
So i put the hygrometer in the bag beside the salt water mixture for 12 hours and I got a 25% reading!!! that is not right. what am I not understanding?
my hygrometer is the bulb kind with a wick so I calibrated with the wick on and everything. is that the way I should have done it?
will table salt (iodized) throw off the reading that much???? I read other threads that said it came out the same for them
please help I am 5 days away from lockdown and I need to get this right

Quote:
Hi Pattgal.

It sounds to me like you have a wet-bulb thermometer. This is used in conjunction with a regular thermometer to determine relative humidity. I don't think they can be calibrated using the salt method test. Instead, the difference between the two is compared on a chart to find humidity.

Here's a link that describes the details of using the wet-bulb technique. There is also one here and here.

I hope this helps. Happy hatching and best of luck.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Hi Pattgal.

It sounds to me like you have a wet-bulb thermometer. This is used in conjunction with a regular thermometer to determine relative humidity. I don't think they can be calibrated using the salt method test. Instead, the difference between the two is compared on a chart to find humidity.

Here's a link that describes the details of using the wet-bulb technique. There is also one here and here.

I hope this helps. Happy hatching and best of luck.
jumpy.gif

I don't have a dual hygrometer
here is the one I have. ignore the fact that it is in a bag with salt I didn't know what I was doing
54911_dsc04345.jpg

I can't figure out that chart. do i substract the humidity from the thermometer? is that what it's saying

All depends on the normal humidity where the incubator is, my house is normally about 30% so if I run dry I am at 30 - 32. But I doubt your house is normally 61. I am not sure how to calibrate that type of hygrometer though. I would still think the salt test would work.

Quote:
my house too is just under 30, according to that hygrometer anyway.
the thing that bugs me is it needs a wick that feeds into a small container of water and I have to refill that everyday. so I think the humidity is coming from there. which would totally throw off the humidity in the incubator
I think I'm gonna return this because it's useless. apparently walmart has some cheap ones that run just as good

Quote:
the thing that bugs me is it needs a wick that feeds into a small container of water and I have to refill that everyday. so I think the humidity is coming from there. which would totally throw off the humidity in the incubator
I think I'm gonna return this because it's useless. apparently walmart has some cheap ones that run just as good

I never found those to be reliable, I finally went to the Pet Store and bought a Flukers Brand, it was $20 but is very reliable. It was in the section for Reptiles. I also had 3 digital ones from Wal-Mart none were reliable, even after calibration.

Quote:

I never found those to be reliable, I finally went to the Pet Store and bought a Flukers Brand, it was $20 but is very reliable. It was in the section for Reptiles. I also had 3 digital ones from Wal-Mart none were reliable, even after calibration.

well I paid 40$ for this one and I'm not really impressed. I guess i'll just follow the manufacture's instructions and hope for the best. lockdown is Saturday so I wouldn't even have time to calibrate it properly now. I would have done it 3 times in a row and round up the average, So I would be pushing it by the time I actually get to the store to return it

Back
Top Bottom