PLease help me calibrate my hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pattgal, May 16, 2011.

1. pattgal

pattgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I put my hygrometer in the salt and water mixture in the bag. then I realized I was supposed to put it beside the mixture in the bag
    So i put the hygrometer in the bag beside the salt water mixture for 12 hours and I got a 25% reading!!! that is not right. what am I not understanding?
    my hygrometer is the bulb kind with a wick so I calibrated with the wick on and everything. is that the way I should have done it?
    will table salt (iodized) throw off the reading that much???? I read other threads that said it came out the same for them
    please help I am 5 days away from lockdown and I need to get this right

2. GeoKan

GeoKan Cackleberry Curator

Mar 9, 2011
    Troy, Kansas
    Quote:Hi Pattgal.

It sounds to me like you have a wet-bulb thermometer. This is used in conjunction with a regular thermometer to determine relative humidity. I don't think they can be calibrated using the salt method test. Instead, the difference between the two is compared on a chart to find humidity.

Here's a link that describes the details of using the wet-bulb technique. There is also one here and here.

I hope this helps. Happy hatching and best of luck. [​IMG]

3. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:Hi Pattgal.

It sounds to me like you have a wet-bulb thermometer. This is used in conjunction with a regular thermometer to determine relative humidity. I don't think they can be calibrated using the salt method test. Instead, the difference between the two is compared on a chart to find humidity.

Here's a link that describes the details of using the wet-bulb technique. There is also one here and here.

I hope this helps. Happy hatching and best of luck. [​IMG]

I don't have a dual hygrometer
    here is the one I have. ignore the fact that it is in a bag with salt I didn't know what I was doing
    [​IMG]
    I can't figure out that chart. do i substract the humidity from the thermometer? is that what it's saying

4. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    lol i have never seen one like that how does it work ??? mercury hygro????

5. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Ok well I'm running completely dry and it still says 61% ???? that dosen't make sense

6. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    All depends on the normal humidity where the incubator is, my house is normally about 30% so if I run dry I am at 30 - 32. But I doubt your house is normally 61. I am not sure how to calibrate that type of hygrometer though. I would still think the salt test would work.

7. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Quote:my house too is just under 30, according to that hygrometer anyway.
    the thing that bugs me is it needs a wick that feeds into a small container of water and I have to refill that everyday. so I think the humidity is coming from there. which would totally throw off the humidity in the incubator
    I think I'm gonna return this because it's useless. apparently walmart has some cheap ones that run just as good

8. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    the thing that bugs me is it needs a wick that feeds into a small container of water and I have to refill that everyday. so I think the humidity is coming from there. which would totally throw off the humidity in the incubator
    I think I'm gonna return this because it's useless. apparently walmart has some cheap ones that run just as good

I never found those to be reliable, I finally went to the Pet Store and bought a Flukers Brand, it was $20 but is very reliable. It was in the section for Reptiles. I also had 3 digital ones from Wal-Mart none were reliable, even after calibration.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

That wet bulb thermometer says is calibrated to read at 103. If your incubator is not 103 it wont show right an sense 103 is to hot for eggs you really cant get much use out of it.

10. pattgal

Apr 20, 2010
    New Brunswick, Canada

I never found those to be reliable, I finally went to the Pet Store and bought a Flukers Brand, it was $20 but is very reliable. It was in the section for Reptiles. I also had 3 digital ones from Wal-Mart none were reliable, even after calibration.

well I paid 40$ for this one and I'm not really impressed. I guess i'll just follow the manufacture's instructions and hope for the best. lockdown is Saturday so I wouldn't even have time to calibrate it properly now. I would have done it 3 times in a row and round up the average, So I would be pushing it by the time I actually get to the store to return it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by