Please help me. chicken died in under a minute..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Jan 28, 2012.

1. my sisters chicken just died in seconds..

its -50 out and my rooster is hard feathered so we voted to bring all the chickens in so none of them would be cold. well we had her and one more chicken to bring in and i got her and i noticed she was like putting her head down like she was going to sleep but i thought she was trying to preen until i saw her eyes were shut. i rushed in the house and shook her (i dont know why i figured shake her to try to get her heart going or blood flowing or something) Its not a long trip from the coop to our door and she was doing fine in the coop. Well she flinched and then she was gone. It didnt even take a minute. Anyone know what could have happened to her? Our other chickens are fine, we dont know her age so it could have been cold shock since she could have been old, or heart attack. Please help me!!

PS. my sister is ArmdChicken so if you know her..

2. Oh and it was her favorite chicken, i didnt like her she seemed mean but I feel awful.

3. i know im being impatient but i dont care.

NO ONE?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    im sorry for the lose of ur chicken if its -50 outside it probley died of tempurture shock what was the temp in ur coop

5. I dont know the temp in our coop, they have a heat lamp though. We dont know their ages so it could have been she was older because the other chickens were fine.

6. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    ya just beware if ur coop was not to warm and u have them in a way warmer spot no they still could get temp shock cause one time my chickens were cold brought them in and she got sick

7. their in the actic entry , we open it and its not to warm but ya warmer then outside. I'll watch out but it should be cool enough

8. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    k just thought i would let u know

9. thanks

Any other ideas why she could have died?

10. she was the only one, we had other chickens outside for longer who were fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by