Please help me, considering culling.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WickeeChickee, Mar 5, 2015.

1. WickeeChickee

WickeeChickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    I posted this several days ago and nobody responded. Since then i started them on another round of Tylan 50 .5cc BID and nutridrench, also added garlic to their water. I started tylan again because the one who had swollen eye last time started to get bubbly in that eye again, and the other one just was lethargic and closing one eye. So this is day 4 of Tylan (round 2) and they've really perked up....until i gave tylan this morning. Before i gave it they were acting completely normal, since i gave it they've become super lethargic and are just hunched in a corner with their eyes closed. Is this a reaction to the tylan? Should i stop tylan a day early? I feel bad because before i injected them they were happily scratching around and eating and drinking and preening. I told myself if they didn't improve after this second round i would cull. Please somebody weigh in, this would be the first time culling for me and my husband is horrified at me.

Here is original post:

After stupidly acquiring a flock of started pullets from a questionable source, I had to nurse them through a bout of what I wound up attributing to mycoplasma. They all pulled through so i resolved to keep them as a closed flock. We are building a new coop for the chicks we acquired in January, but wouldn't you know it, they started showing signs of the same stupid thing! Argh! So i started them on Duramycin in their water (6 week olds now) and most if them improved completely (please save the lecture on it being incurable and they'll always be carriers - i sell neither chicks nor hatching eggs) except for two. One of them even got the swollen eye/sinus and the other just was obviously not feeling good. So I started them on Tylan 50 .25 cc BID for 5 days in the breast and also administered straight nutridrench every 8 hours for 3 days. While the swelling has gone down in that ones sinus, they are still lethargic and pretty much stay hunched up away from the others with their eyes closed. They eat and drink, albeit not as enthusiastically as the others, and respond normally when held. Is there anything else I can do? Should i just wait it out and see if they gradually start to perk up? Honestly the only improvement I've seen is the swelling going down in the one pullet's eye and a diminishment of any other respiratory symptoms. Their lethargy and overall demeanor have not improved. Thoughts, suggestions? I appreciate y'alls input.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could treat them all for coccidiosis with Corid as often birds will have more than one thing going on at a time. You could also de-worm all of them with Safeguard (fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole).

Corid powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7-14 days.
    Corid liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7-14 days.

You could also try an antibiotic like Baytril, but it is banned for use in poultry, so research that.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could also try giving a higher dose of the Tylan *orally*. Something like 25mg per pound twice a day is what I would try.

-Kathy

5. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Thanks, do you mean give the injectable orally? At this point i just feel like they are overdosed on antibiotics lol. Awesome peacock story!

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

How much do they weigh? How old are they? If they are getting more that 50mg per pound per day they are getting too much.

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    They are 6 week old EEs. I have been giving them the bantam dose of 1/4 cc twice a day. I mistyped .5 cc earlier.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

If they weigh about a pound that's enough and no need to try orally. Check their breast muscles for injection site reactions... Tylan can cause injection site necrosis.

-Kathy

9. WickeeChickee

Feb 28, 2013
    Madisonville, LA
    Will do, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by