Please help me decide...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladybug99, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I found one of my hens on Sunday evening with her side torn open, I am assuming it was done by the rooster while mating as there is really nothing sharp in the run or the coop. she was sitting all droopy on the perch and bleeding pretty badly, and top top it off she was constantly pecking herself. Being the good chicken mommie that I am I swooped her up, followed the advise from my fellow BYC friends. cleaned up the wound, fed her yourgert and scrambled eggs and lots of other high protien treats. Found some antibiotics, and this morning she has laid her first eggs in 5 days, and has flown over the divider into my kitchen and is eating the dog food.

So I said to my self ok you are fine to go outside in the seperate run so you see your sisters but not be with them. Her wound is completely scabbed over and she is so excited to get out into the fresh air!!! I come back a few hours later to find her pacing back and forth along the fence and all the other ladies doing the same on the other side... even my roo was concerned. I distracted her for a while with some treats and she settled down a bit. Now its time to put her inside, I decide to put her in a dog crate and into the coop with the other ladies.....she seems so upset she wants to be with them so badly....

Now her wound is completely covered by her wing so I doubt any of the others will peck at it... should I leave her in with the others tomorrow or should I wait a few more days??? I am worried more about the roo trying to mate with her and opening up the wound again than the ladies establishing a new pecking order.. what do you all think???

2. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    I'd say it's better to be safe than sorry. You could try bringing in one of her buddies to be with her for the next day or so. It would be really bad if the rooster opened it again or the girls found it and pecked her to death. Chickens are like velociraptors when it comes to blood. Good job on helping her get better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by