Please help me decided. Shingle roof for run???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nicole01, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I need your help please. We are in the process of making our run better for our girls. Our run dimensions are 22x5x5 on the west side of our house for our 8 chicks. I tried a shade tarp for shading and I wasn't happy of the results, so I added a solid tarp on top of the shade tarp. I don't like that either. Currently we took down everything and we added a solid tarp for shading. The tarp is only temporary.

Our original plan was to use pretreated wood for the roof and down the side of the run, 10x5x5 area. This would prevent the snow falling in part of the run, so the girls have access all year round.

Now my husband says we should roof the entire run and put shingles on the roof to make it look a little nicer. He says it's up to me and I can't decide. Should I keep my original plan or should we roof the entire run. Regardless of the roof, we are still boarding up 10 feet of the side in front. We are planting decent size pine trees for shading this fall, but they take a while to grow.

Here is a pic of my run, so you have an idea what I'm talking about. The partial or full roof will be at an angle. Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

We did shingles.:)But before we got shingles we used a tarp we are a lot happier with the shingles.[​IMG]

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Shingles are awesome. I just roofed a huge house, sectioned off for 4 tenants(4plex maybe? not sure) and boy roofing can be tough, down on your hands and knees 8 hours a day. When we were all done it looked like a fortress, no rain is going to be bothering those houses for a very long time. I was actually able to snag some extra shingles for the chicken coop I'm building soon. I found a new respect for shingles after hating them on my house for years. I'll def be going the shingle route on my coop.

4. inohio

inohio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    You need a certain amount of pitch (angle) to the roof to use shingles. Does he intend to do that? Otherwise, the water will run up under the shingles. If he wants to do a flat roof, maybe look at tin or the plastic stuff, but you'll need support under them to carry any snow load. You'll still want at least a tiny bit of pitch (like at a 2x4 height against the wall to keep water from running back against the house.

5. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:We are angling the roof wheather or not it's a partial or full roof. [​IMG].

6. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I would think that a roof would give it a nice finished look. Either shingles or metal roofing. Here because of snow, we go with metal. We find it easier to install and a benefit with snow sliding off. You'll have to show us some after pictures!

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd cover and shingle the entire thing. It'll give them more play room in the winter and shade in the summer. Can't lose! Oh, and it'll make it look pretty like you DH said. [​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thanks for helping me make a decision. I will have dh roof and shingle the entire top.

Dh was working on the frame for the roof and our daughter was thrilled. My daughter said in a very excited voice, "daddy, you keep making the coop better and better for the chickens.". We are putting a lot more work then planned.[​IMG]. I love it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by